LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idle problem

Over the last week I've noticed a problem with the idle in my TA. It's been smooth as silk at 700RPM since 1995. What I have noticed is that now it will randomly drop to about 500RPM and stumble a bit. If I hit the gas at this point it revs right up. Does not seem to have a stumble off idle even at 500 RPM. A couple times it's dropped and then died. Restarts fine.
Sound like the IAC or the TPS to you guys?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Over the last week I've noticed a problem with the idle in my TA. It's been smooth as silk at 700RPM since 1995. What I have noticed is that now it will randomly drop to about 500RPM and stumble a bit. If I hit the gas at this point it revs right up. Does not seem to have a stumble off idle even at 500 RPM. A couple times it's dropped and then died. Restarts fine.
Sound like the IAC or the TPS to you guys?
If you have access to a cable and Datamaster scan it to get an idea on the TPS and IAC readings. If not my first guess would be the IAC, but they ain't cheap and usually run around 50-75 bucks. Also, you need to make a sig and include your car, year and any mods so we can get a better idea of your situation and give you more advise as things can vary greatly from year to year in the LT-1's.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply.
It's a '95 TA convertible. 383 with LT4 heads and intake, port matched to the BBK throttlebody. Mac headers and Y-pipe. Random Technologies high flow cat. SLP loudmouth. A4 with the 4L65-E upgrades. 3.73 gears.

I'm leaning towards it being the IAC too, but have not had a chance to pop the hood.

Quick Reply: Idle problem