LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tube Header install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tube Header install question

Hey guys I ordered a set of pacesetter LT headers They are ceramic coated with e.g.r and a.i.r fittings. I have a few questions about installing them. First, is do both sides go in from the top? Also I have my trans out right now and I'm holding off on putting it back in untill I get the headers in, My question is will having the trans out make installation easier? I already have the stock manifolds off. The passenger side was a little bit of a pain but with a little bit of time I got it out. Thanks guys any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.

ALso.. Do you suggest I get some Percy gaskets instead of using the Pacecetter ones? I heard the Pacesetters will blow out in a week?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LaVy
Hey guys I ordered a set of pacesetter LT headers They are ceramic coated with e.g.r and a.i.r fittings. I have a few questions about installing them. First, is do both sides go in from the top? Also I have my trans out right now and I'm holding off on putting it back in untill I get the headers in, My question is will having the trans out make installation easier? I already have the stock manifolds off. The passenger side was a little bit of a pain but with a little bit of time I got it out. Thanks guys any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.

ALso.. Do you suggest I get some Percy gaskets instead of using the Pacecetter ones? I heard the Pacesetters will blow out in a week?
They both go in from the bottom. Having the trans out should make it easier, especially to help you connect the EGR tube to the header (that can be a real PITA). Don't use the crappy paper gaskets that come with the headers. I picked up a set of copper gaskets, but I have only heard great things about Percy gaskets. Make sure that you keep any wires away from the the headers.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

So everybody keeps telling me good luck when say i'm gonna put long tubes on my lt1, Like its some impossible accomplishment. They can only go in one way it looks like this should be pretty straight forward.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Don't be scared. If you like to work on stuff, it will be fun. It's not nearly as difficult as you might think based on the amount of moaning you read associated with header installs. I grew up on a farm, and after reading thread after thread about how hard it is, I was expecting it to be much more difficult than it actually was. If you haven't done very much wrenching, you might think it's a bitch. My advice would be to read up quite a bit before starting, and allow yourself plenty of time. A second set of hands will make the actual installation of the headers much easier.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

it isnt impossible, but its time consuming, just take your time and do it right the first time. When the headers are out that is a perfect time to replace the spark plugs if you havent done that in a while.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

make sure you put the EGR tube on the headers before you tighten them all up while you still have room to get it in
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
Don't be scared. If you like to work on stuff, it will be fun. It's not nearly as difficult as you might think based on the amount of moaning you read associated with header installs. I grew up on a farm, and after reading thread after thread about how hard it is, I was expecting it to be much more difficult than it actually was. If you haven't done very much wrenching, you might think it's a bitch. My advice would be to read up quite a bit before starting, and allow yourself plenty of time. A second set of hands will make the actual installation of the headers much easier.
Thanks for the good info. I am the exact same way I grew up on my dads farm and that is were my wrenching started at a young age. My car is still at the farm right now on jack stands. I'm swapping out my 4l60e for a t56. I got all the modifications done for the T56, The pedals and master cyl. by myself, did all the wiring, and cut the hole for the shifter, all I have left is to get these headers in and install the t56. I also have the steering column out to give myself some extra room (had it out already for pedal/master cyl. install). Here are some pics.

Oifish, thanks for the reply, I have some fresh acdelco's waiting to go in. I also changed the rear main seal while I had the trans out.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djjab57
make sure you put the EGR tube on the headers before you tighten them all up while you still have room to get it in
Get the EGR **** on before I tighten the headers to the head all the way? But I need to Get the headers in place before I put the egr tubing on right? THanks for the reply.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the good info. I am the exact same way I grew up on my dads farm and that is were my wrenching started at a young age. My car is still at the farm right now on jack stands. I'm swapping out my 4l60e for a t56. I got all the modifications done for the T56, The pedals and master cyl. by myself, did all the wiring, and cut the hole for the shifter, all I have left is to get these headers in and install the t56. I also have the steering column out to give myself some extra room (had it out already for pedal/master cyl. install). Here are some pics.

Oifish, thanks for the reply, I have some fresh acdelco's waiting to go in. I also changed the rear main seal while I had the trans out.
If you've already done all that, I would think your header install will seem like a piece of cake.

This may not give me a good idea considering that you swapped your transmission, but how difficult was your clutch install? A new clutch is on my list of things to do.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get the EGR **** on before I tighten the headers to the head all the way? But I need to Get the headers in place before I put the egr tubing on right? THanks for the reply.
Nice work so far man. Good going on the T56 swap. That and the headers is going to make it a totally different car.

As for the EGR tube, I think it is easier to set the the header where it has to go, bolt the EGR tube onto the header, and then bolt the header to the head.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

its a very tight fit between the egr and the block the tube has that 1/4 inch piece of pipe sticking out and it is almost impossible to put that part in the hole while the header is bolted on. i know cause i still am fighting it myself. i put on two block off plates and they leaked so this morning i said screw it and dropped it off for someone else tho put it in lol
Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
If you've already done all that, I would think your header install will seem like a piece of cake.

This may not give me a good idea considering that you swapped your transmission, but how difficult was your clutch install? A new clutch is on my list of things to do.
Clutch install is pretty easy If you have a clutch alignment tool (supplied in most all clutch kits) since I had an auto I just had to pop in a new pilot bearing, if you wanted to remove yours and replace It I would just go to auto zone and rent out a small bearing puller. Also I took a factory flywheel down to a local transmission shop and they resurfaced it for $30. you might need another guy to hold the flywheel while you torque it back down (75ft/lbs I believe), Then just install the disc and pressure plate line it up, start the bolts, Use the alignment took to make sure its perfect (make sure it goes all the way into the pilot bearing) Tighten the bolts to 22 ft/lbs, pull out the alignment tool and your done! Only other thing I could suggest is Be careful when you lower the transmission I was a lil carless when I lowered my auto and Cracked the oil pressure sending unit. (you can see the new one in pics)

ss.slp.ls1, THanks for the encouragement, after having so many problems with that 4l60e, I knew I wanted to shift my own gears! I'm excited to get it on the road I plan I finishing it up this weekend.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

ss.slp.ls1, THanks for the encouragement, after having so many problems with that 4l60e, I knew I wanted to shift my own gears! I'm excited to get it on the road I plan I finishing it up this weekend.
I have done two T56 conversions. Not too difficult, just time consuming. Both owners were thrilled to say the least with the end result. I have never liked autos, never owned one, never will. Both my cars are 6 speeds.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

its a very tight fit between the egr and the block the tube has that 1/4 inch piece of pipe sticking out and it is almost impossible to put that part in the hole while the header is bolted on. i know cause i still am fighting it myself. i put on two block off plates and they leaked so this morning i said screw it and dropped it off for someone else tho put it in lol
i just looked at your pics again the 4th pic you can see the egr tube with the pipe sticking out that i was talking about
Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Only other thing I could suggest is Be careful when you lower the transmission I was a lil carless when I lowered my auto and Cracked the oil pressure sending unit. (you can see the new one in pics)
Did your car have the oil pressure switch above the oil filter? Mine is at the rear of the intake manifold, but it's a different type of sensor. They changed the location sometime during the '94 production year.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

mine is a 94 and is on the bottom and it was broke during the header install, i ordered a new one and apparently they had two different sizes for the bottom ones. one has an 1/8 inch thread and one with a 1/4 inch thread. they sent me the wrong one
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

mine is a 94 and is on the bottom and it was broke during the header install, i ordered a new one and apparently they had two different sizes for the bottom ones. one has an 1/8 inch thread and one with a 1/4 inch thread. they sent me the wrong one
I could be wrong, but my guess is that they sent you the switch that mounts at the rear of the intake.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
Did your car have the oil pressure switch above the oil filter? Mine is at the rear of the intake manifold, but it's a different type of sensor. They changed the location sometime during the '94 production year.
I circled the new one. It is at the rear of the intake manifold. Like djjab57 said, there is 2 different thread sizes 1/8 and 1/4 inch, When I went into murrays they had both in stock and matched up my broken one. I believe it was the smaller one.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

yep thats the one they sent me
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm putting a Spec 2 in my car now.. We pulled everything out last night and putting it back in tonight.

I have 210K miles on my car and the rear main seal was dry as a bone.. I thought that was cool.

But on the other hand... My intake gasket is leaking like crazy.. Would that affect my clutch? things seemed ok inside the bell housing..

Quick Reply: Long tube Header install question