LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car starting issues

I have a 5-6K miles on my msd opti and coil. 7k miles on tune up. 1 o2 is brand new the other has 7k miles on it. new air filter, cleaned the maf, pulled and clean the tb.

Well the car will start right off sometimes. Other times it'll drain the battery and never start and will backfire through the intake. Other times it'll start byut after cranking on it till the battery is nearly dead.

I had a buddy say he thought it was the maf but I doubt that? These cars will run with the maf unplugged won't they? It just resorts to a standard table in the pcm doesn't it? Is there a way to test the maf?

He said it could be the ICM also? Can that be tested?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Oh The car will not run for **** without the msd6a hooked up.

Also Once the car is started and running for a couple minutes it runs great and it will fire on demand until it gets overnight cold. Spark seems to be jumping around and may not be firing properly. Which explains why sometimes it'll get lucky and start.

Fuel pressure also has checked out and there is no major leak down in the fp over nite. Car still has about 10psi of fp overnite.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going to say fuel pressure, but you said you already checked that.

There is a real problem if you can't get your car to run without the 6AL. That shouldn't be required. I would investigate your ignition system thoroughly. I would try to get it to stock (no box) and troubleshoot the problem.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

It's the 6a not the 6al but I am with you. I understand that and that's why I brought it up. That's why my friend thinks it the ICM.