LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adjusting msd opti

Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting msd opti

Ok guys I lost my instructions on my msd opti and want to adjust my timing. I tried researching and from what I understand 2 turns out is stock timing if I screw it all the way in its retarded either 5 or 7 deg still dont know from all the conflicting adds if its 5 or 7 total? If thats right it would be 1 full turn out for 2.5 or 3.5 deg and 2 full turns for 5 or 7 deg? Can someone shed some light on this to help me out some? Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

email msd, and then post what they say cuz i've got no clue
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The adjusting mechanism is so unreliable, that I would never trust it by turns only. The only way to know what effect it is having is to use a timing light for a reference (though the LT1 does not use a timing pointer or mark to adjust timing this way). You'll just have to figure out a way to observe and calculate it.

I really don't know why they even put the adjustability in there in the first place. Global timing changes are a step backward in technology, IMHO. Using the computer to make intelligence based timing changes is the way to do it.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may try to get my buddy to hook up his computer to it and see how it goes!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+/- 7* per my ins. sheet

Adjust with rpm's at 1,500-2,000

2 turns out is factory.

when you adjust the screw in ward it pushes the optical sensor so the sensor comes in contact with a single notch in the metal wheel faster so therefore adjusting it out would make the sensor come incontact with a single notch slower.

So I would think faster contact = fast timing, slower contact = lesser timing? Looks like my thoughts were correct see below

I just found this posted by a msd tech on the msd forum "If you rotate it screw clockwise it will advance the timing and counter clockwise is retarding the timing. You want as much timing as possible with out detonation, so I would recommend advancing it slowly listening for detonation. "
Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kierstyn
I may try to get my buddy to hook up his computer to it and see how it goes!
The thing is, monitoring it with a datalogger or scanner is not going to show you a thing as far as any timing changes. The adjustment is a manual change to the global timing baseline that is the computer is never going to know about. That is why I suggested the timing light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting msd opti