LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header hitting k-member

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. Do I have a whole other problem? Nothing hits until the spot right under the driver's seat. It is kind of pressed against the floor. I would hate to change my motor mounts now. The y-pipe I had made has some serious modification to get around the trans. mounting bracket. It is tucked up great but it rattles on the torque arm :/.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irocss85
my jet hots hit on the pass. side. had to notch it. it will not hurt the frame. just cut to lines and hammer the middle into the kmember. done. then install the header. the factory Kmember is exremely strong. dont even worry bout it.
Ive installed quite a few sets of headers, and there all a bit diff. from car to car, header to header. (Im talking same name brand header to header). matter of fact, I could get you a pic of mine since the eng/Kmember is still out of the car in the garage.

damn i already have them installed. I wonder if there will be enough clearance to fit the dremel down there. I will check it out on monday and see what i can do.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AChotrod
LOL! Search it. Lot of PS LTs have fittment problems or they blow holes in them or rust away....
LOL I don't need to search it, I have my own personal experience to tell me that they fit great!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

x2 !!!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greendrazil
Hmm. Do I have a whole other problem? Nothing hits until the spot right under the driver's seat. It is kind of pressed against the floor. I would hate to change my motor mounts now. The y-pipe I had made has some serious modification to get around the trans. mounting bracket. It is tucked up great but it rattles on the torque arm :/.
Just bend the header down a little.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Pacesetters fit good, it doesn't hit the K-member. I think people with problems on Pacesetters are the once with old mounts.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that had the fitment issues - what kind of motor mounts and transmission mount do you have? I did an entire engine swap but I noticed when we were dropping the body down onto the kframe (installed the engine from underneath) that when the entire car was down on the kframe that with the transmission angled down (because the trans mount wasn't bolted in yet) that the headers were hitting the kframe. As soon as I put the trans brace and mount in place, the headers were no longer against the kframe and at that I have at least 1/2 inch of clearance. It seems like the angle of the engine and transmission can play a big factor on whether or not the headers hit the k-frame.

I've got poly mounts on all 3 corners and I'm using the same transmission brace that was on my v6 (both were 4L60e and I'm not sure if there's a difference between the v6 and v8 trans brace). Hope that helps - there has to be a common factor here for people who have fitment issues and those that don't. I don't accept the idea that there's that much variation between either the vehicle's build tolerances or the header's tolerances if they're made in the same jig.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

How exactly do you bend a header? Let alone one with jethot all over it?

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
Just bend the header down a little.
Is it possible for new mounts to angle the engine back down?

hmm.... I guess if the trans mount was a lot better than the motor mounts.... Would that be weird on a 103,000 mile car?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Never herd of pacesetter LT's hittin the k member either. Atleast mine don't!
FWIW, I had to trim my K-member very modestly on the driver's side when installing my Pacesetters. This was on a '99 and therefore an LS1 application.

I can't remember if it was strictly to assist the install of if I thought it was going to bang. Anyway, the damn ORY bangs a good bit whenever I let the clutch in from a stop, so watch out for that if anyone is using one of their ORY's.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LaVy
LOL I don't need to search it, I have my own personal experience to tell me that they fit great!
Dont be an ***. Just because yours fit doesnt mean they all do. Just like every brand header on the market. Like I said search it and see the pages of PS fitment probs.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I have hooker LT headers and I have to wrap my headers with excess header wrap just in that area so it does not make the taping sound...
Old 04-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have a set of the jet hot lts on my car and they hit the passenger side floor pan and the car picks up false knock. my opinion is jet hot headers are junk plain and simple im going to something else. if anyone wants them they are for sale for $10 cause thats what they are worth.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

bumping this thread because I'm also having fitment issues especially on the passenger side...where the header collector is hitting the k-member and won't line up completely to the head. I'm grinding it down some. I have a 98 WS6 with an LS6 crate and got Hooker 2469-HKR....they are for 2000-2002 F-bodies. A tech from Hooker said I should have gotten the 98-99 because "those are for my year car" and said the body must be different.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

This is what We did b4 I got an aftermarket K-member
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took a chunk out of mine...a tech from hooher is saying I got the wrong ones I got a set of headers for a 00-02 and I should have gotten 98-99 ones. What the hells the difference??
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black98T/A
I took a chunk out of mine...a tech from hooher is saying I got the wrong ones I got a set of headers for a 00-02 and I should have gotten 98-99 ones. What the hells the difference??
Pretty sure the guy from the Hooker call center in India is an idiot.

That being said, this is the LT1 section and your question may be better answered in the LS1 section.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

My pacesetters hit something, i dont know what it was, annoyed the ever-living crap out of me though. that was on a 94 camaro.

Its very odd, i have a 94 trans am now, doing alot of repeat stuff that i did to my 94 camaro. Maybe its because ive done it befor, maybe its camaro vs trans am, but this trans am is cake to work on. i dont understand it.

Anyways all that being said, i hope my headers dont do this to me when i install them.

Quick Reply: header hitting k-member