LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Msd opti

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand that.
I am saying that MSD engineered a vent into the cap and rotor kit for the "unvented" opti.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I understand that.
I am saying that MSD engineered a vent into the cap and rotor kit for the "unvented" opti.
That is what i was saying that they made a fulled vented system for us non-vented opti guys. It wasnt that i did such little research. I got it because i have always had better luck with the MSD parts rather than the factory replacement parts. I went through 3 new ac delco optis before i bought the MSD. I have had more luck again with this product than the OE product.

Not saying that it is a poor quality part by any means. Just in my case i just had a better luck going with the MSD thats all.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

What sold me on the MSD was the fact that all the parts are replaceable and they made a vented version for 93-94 LT1s.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
Well there are two different adjustment screws on the MSD Pro Billet Distributor. There is one set screw that will move the optical sensor further away/further on the shutter wheel. The other set screw moves the optical sensor up and down on the shutter wheel. Like you said though it is just more of a source of trouble. but if it is adjusted here i would think the computer would readjust for changes made.

Now as far as the cap making it a vented system it only is one part of the vented system. you will still not have the vacuum line coming out of the actual distributor. There is also a vented line coming out of the distributor that is located directly above the optical sensor. this vacuum line is connected to the intake tubing. The one that is connected to the cap goes to the vacuum line that the EGR vacuum line is connected to.
The purpose of this is, when a vacuum is pulled from the vacuum line connected to the intake manifold fresh air is then pulled through the distributor via the vacuum line connected to the distributor then the fresh (after air filter) air from the intake/CAI.

Sorry to ramble on like this. Hope this helps out OP. the actual only true benefits to buying this product is the full vented opti for the 93&94 and a hardwired harness. The other benifit is only like 96capricemgr stated; if you are experinced with adjusting the timing using this type of adjustment and a way to prevent the ECM from counter acting the changes you had just made.
The computer knows nothing about any timing adjustment made by an MSD opti and cannot "compensate". You have to make MSD opti timing adjustments in the blind and have no way to verify them unless you can cobble up using a timing light and a makeshift pointer. IMHO, it is a negative selling point, insofar as the adjustment screws have not been known to be very reliable.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

I picked up my MSD opti for $250 so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's brand new. I've heard there's some issues for some people and other's say they love them. But like I said I got mine for less than the stock opti sells for so I thought I'd give it a try.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAde in china OPTI FTW!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I understand that.
But it is not like the factory vacuume vented system, its just a vent to poutside air in the cap alone. If I misunderstood you it appeared to me that you were saying that the MSD cap provided the factory like venting system.

If I misunderstood you I appologize
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
But it is not like the factory vacuume vented system, its just a vent to poutside air in the cap alone. If I misunderstood you it appeared to me that you were saying that the MSD cap provided the factory like venting system.

If I misunderstood you I appologize
Well the venting system is primarily for venting ozone, which is only created in the high voltage side of the opti, aka the cap and rotor.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ozone or whatever, the factory system draws fresh air through the whole opti with vacuume, the msd cap alone on a 94 earlier system has no positive pressure pulling ozone and moisture out.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Ozone or whatever, the factory system draws fresh air through the whole opti with vacuume, the msd cap alone on a 94 earlier system has no positive pressure pulling ozone and moisture out.
Well when the time comes for a cam swap, might as well get a new vented opti a '95 timing cover, and get a cam with the longer dowel pin...problem solved.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Well when the time comes for a cam swap, might as well get a new vented opti a '95 timing cover, and get a cam with the longer dowel pin...problem solved.
I agree I did the same thing on my old 93 when the opti went bad in it (back in 95) I was lucky enough to have a friend with a junk yard and a few Zs in stock...lol so my parts were pretty cheap compared to new for the cover and hoses etc.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by za355tx
I picked up my MSD opti for $250 so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's brand new. I've heard there's some issues for some people and other's say they love them. But like I said I got mine for less than the stock opti sells for so I thought I'd give it a try.
If you bought it new you should be OK, but if it is used be sure it has the updated o ring it should have a square shape to it not round, round is the old style and the inner cover is different too.
MSD will send the new parts to you free if they are the old type.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

"WS Sick" Are you saying the msd opti doesnt pull fresh air through vacuum? Like the Factory opti? Its exactly the same. It does pull fresh air through the opti like the factory one.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
"WS Sick" Are you saying the msd opti doesnt pull fresh air through vacuum? Like the Factory opti? Its exactly the same. It does pull fresh air through the opti like the factory one.
No the cap kit , if for the 93-94 dist only has the vent inthe cap, you use your stock base, the 500$ piece has vacuume air draw fresh air through it.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at the msd rotor you can see how it will survive high rpm's much better than the stocker. That being said I love the msd cap/rotor, but would never get a full opti, the back part of the opti very rarely fails.

Quick Reply: Msd opti