LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just an Exhaust Leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just an Exhaust Leak ?

ok so if no ones been reading my build thread (in sig) i have a fully rebuilt cam and slightly headed LT1. i have this tapping sound coming from the passenger side. it sounds like a rocker/lifter but the rockers are 1 turn past zero lash and the lifters are brand new along with everything else. im hoping its just an exhaust leak. i had reused my copper mr gasket gaskets. they were in pretty good shape. would that cause it to leak ? i also had abit of a tough time getting the header to bolt up to the head. as if it had shrunk alittle. heres a vid if it helps anyone out. thanks in advance guys

Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

kinda hard to tell, but it sounds like a exhaust leak to me.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw the rockers usually should be around 1/4 turn past zero. i just redid my buddys ss. he had his set at 1 turn and i reset them and the thing ran alot smoother. but it dose sound like a exhaust leak.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
kinda hard to tell, but it sounds like a exhaust leak to me.
i hope so. id be so pissed if somehow something else was wrong
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have any idea which primary its coming from? Im not sure how it would go on a freshly build engine buy you can tell and exhaust leak easy. If you have and idea of which 1 its coming from pull the plug wire. if it goes away then thats where it is! if you dont find it coming from any of them then you know its a rocker! Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blake110106
do you have any idea which primary its coming from? Im not sure how it would go on a freshly build engine buy you can tell and exhaust leak easy. If you have and idea of which 1 its coming from pull the plug wire. if it goes away then thats where it is! if you dont find it coming from any of them then you know its a rocker! Good luck!
i think its my #3 and 5 cylinder. im going to try and tighten then down more. if not ill do that and replace the gaskets jus tto be safe.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

I spent the better part of last week fixing an exhaust leak. After trying 3 gaskets I just ended up doubling up on the gaskets. I put the Mr. Gasket copper ones on the header side and the percy's aluminum gaskets on the head side. No more header leak for me. Don't tighten too much though, the last thing you want is a stripped head. But yes as far as the rockers go that's too tight. It may not be the sound you're hearing but it needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Just an Exhaust Leak ?