LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crank Position Sensor / Reluctor Ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Position Sensor / Reluctor Ring

I get an error code for the Crank position sensor PO336, I have replaced the sensor and the same thing. When I have the sensor out and stick my finger in there the reluctor ring has movement/play to it front to back. This doesn't seem normal to me, can someone help me here before I rip the front of the motor apart to take a look?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

What were you doing that caused the code? Did this just happen all at once or have you been having any driving issues? I got the same code and it was the connector/wiring was frayed and causing issues. The reluctor ring is sandwhiched between the timing crank gear and the hub, so I would check the hub to make sure it's tight as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There should be no movement in the ring. Make sure your hub is all the way on. That is what sandwiches the reluctor to the crank gear.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
There should be no movement in the ring. Make sure your hub is all the way on. That is what sandwiches the reluctor to the crank gear.
+1.

Not to scare you but I had that code a long time ago. New sensor didn't change anything. Checked the hub bolt and it was at 74 ft.lbs. Shortly afterwords I got a P0300, one of the rivets holding the pointer on the cap and rotor was busted.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I will recheck the hub and make sure it is on all the way, but there is definitely play in the reluctor ring. I bought the car and it had issues and I have never seen it run perfect yet, so I'm still working through kinks. The opti is new, so I would HOPE that's not the issue, but as always you can't rule out the opti-crap.

Any other tips are much appreciated, thanks guys and I will keep you posted!

Quick Reply: Crank Position Sensor / Reluctor Ring