LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting problems

Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Okay, when you try to start my car it starts good sometimes then sometimes it might not start for several minutes, if it starts before the battery goes dead from trying. If it starts, sometimes at higher rpms it starts to cut out, but not always.

So today I am going to get a fuel pressure tester and check that. But what else should I check? How do I check the fpr? I want to check the opti, but how? Can I just pull a plug and watch and see iff I get any spark?

Also, when checking the fuel pressure, I check at prime, at idle, and under load. What else do I check and how much psi should they read?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

K, I got the tester and it says at koeo 38 psi, idle 31 psi, and with the vacum off the fpr it reads 40 psi. So how does that sound about right? It also holds prime pretty good.

So now what do you guys recommend I try?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Now for the kicker! So I go out for a spin to check the fuel pressure at wot. On the way it reads 30ish , and when I blip the throttle it spikes to 40ish. So I get on a back road and get on it goes up to 40ish then car starts to cut out and fuel pressure is going down. I get out of it and it goes down to 20ish, then I give it alittle and it goes to like 1 or 2 I idle a ways then it goes dead. So I figure maybe I am out of gas as my gauge is off bad. I get 5 gallons and put it in and it wont even prime.

So now what? Where do I get a pump? I want one so after my build late summer I can support upwards of 700 hp on spray.

Come on guys chime in I need help. What about those readings in the first post, do those look close to what they should? Dosn't matter, just wondering. How can I make sure it is the pump and not wiring or something else? I can hear the solinoid clicking.

Please somone!??

Search this Thread