LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spec 3 clutch owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spec 3 clutch owners

Hey guys, I put my ride on the road for the first time today for a basic rundown of the car. It's got a spec 3 clutch and I wanted to ask other people what they think of their spec 3's? So far I've got zero chatter...but man this thing just grips like a mug. I think it was tspence talking about it a week ago and he's right. There is no middle area with this thing it's either on or off. Don't get me wrong I like it but man it's different. It's probably a combo of the car itself with the big ol lumpy cam, the 4.10's, and the clutch but it's going to take some getting used to. But again I wanted to see if any of you guys running spec 3's experience the same? Thanks.

Zach
Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It grips like pit bull when new but will loosen up a bit over time. It most likely has a high pedal meaning that the release point is reached when just barely pushing the pedal in and this leaves a big dead area between the release point and the floorboard. Again normal for that kind of clutch.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you have to let the clutch pedal way out before it grips but when it does it's super firm.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by za355tx
Yeah you have to let the clutch pedal way out before it grips but when it does it's super firm.
Yeah. I'm starting to get used to it now. And also, unless you get the revs up there a decent ways, you'll get some chatter. Or, atleast I do. You may not experience that with the gears and cam though. But, I'll be throwing some 3.90's in before the end of the month, hopefully. And then, hopefully that'll make DD'ing a little easier. Some guys in the manual transmission section were saying that if I got an adjustable master cylinder, I might be able to make it to where it starts letting out a little sooner. But, I'm not really sure if I want to spend that money yet.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the SPEC stg 3 in since 2002 and its still performing flawlessly. I like when other people go to drive the car and they always stall it since its either on or off. When this one goes, I will get another. I also have a SLP LT4 LW pressure plate, I dont know if it makes a difference or not.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

I have the spec stage 3 with there billet steel flywheel. I have some chatter but you can slip the clutch a little or slip the tires for a smooth roll out. My chatter is the worst trying to back up. Its still livable for a DD and my mods are in my sig. prob go with a different clutch next time. its not bad though. I have some miles on it and its still stuck when you let that pedal out.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

I also have had a spec 3 since 03', Just don't slip it at all for the first 500mi. This will ensure you don't have chatter issues after break in. It's been a great clutch!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

dunno broke mine in to the t per spec and i still have a little chatter. I went through hell with the spec clutch. they packaged the clutch and pressure plate incorrectly. it was a stage 3 and stage 3+ parts mixed up and had to take the trans out on jackstands 5 times till we figured it out. spec stepped up and sent the right parts and solved it. so after that hassle we broke it in perfectly and still have chatter. some cars will do it some might not? before i bought the stage 3 i was told i will have chatter so i knew i was getting it. like it matters with the cam and mounts lol clutch chatter just adds to the Daily driving excitement. I think you will like it. maybe upgrade the hydraulics while your in there if you have the $$$ for piece of mind, I had to mine was holding to the floor. Enjoy
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I like mine, and I've gotten used to it but I never really felt like it was "on or off". My Ram that was in the car before it was much more painful to drive, it was on or off and didn't hold as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I also have had a spec 3 since 03', Just don't slip it at all for the first 500mi. This will ensure you don't have chatter issues after break in. It's been a great clutch!!
Seems like not slipping it at all woud be kind of hard would it not? I'm trying to slip as little as possible but it still does some.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

i have the spec 3+ and love it not sure what the differencs are but it holds to the 6k clutch dump on the bottle pretty well. has about a years drivetime on it
Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

See sig. LOVE mine. Needs more RPMs than stock but I'm also running a 3.23 rear gear at the moment.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

I drove the car again today and it already feels like it's getting a little easier. Maybe it's me getting used to it but it feels like it's already softened up a little. I really think it's the combo of the big cam, 4.10's and the stiff clutch. But it's fun to get in except the part where I took the AC out and 100 degree weather is right around the corner here in TX
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

ewwww no a/c!!!!!! i have done that on alot of projects. I cant seem to bring myself to do it to this one. still works great so no reason yet! I have a cam and 4.10's with some good miles on it and its still really strong. as soon as the 9" is in I will really try it out.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by za355tx
I drove the car again today and it already feels like it's getting a little easier. Maybe it's me getting used to it but it feels like it's already softened up a little. I really think it's the combo of the big cam, 4.10's and the stiff clutch. But it's fun to get in except the part where I took the AC out and 100 degree weather is right around the corner here in TX
Haha. Luckily, I've only been having ~70* temps around here. So, it's pretty easy to live without my A/C. Besides, t-tops give me more cooling when it gets warmer. When it's nice out, they're always off anyways. No need for A/C ever. That's why I took mine out.

Quick Reply: Spec 3 clutch owners