LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 LT1 Rebuild Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 LT1 Rebuild Advice?

I have a 97 Formula with close to 100k on it. A year and a half ago, I beilieve it may have over heated when the water pump blew. I've noticed a loss in power over that time, and this spring, noticed a great deal of oil smoke when I fired it up. So I'm pretty sure it needs a ring-job.

I'm having it rebuilt by a very reputable local engine builder, but I'm looking for a little advice. Unless I request anything, he's just going to do the ring job and a vlave job, and bring everyting back to factory spec.

What I'm wondering is if anyone can suggest some items I should address while he has the engine out, or any simple obvious mods that I should make. It is my daily driver in the summer, but I'm certainly okay with losing a little bit of mileage in exchange for some more horsepower. I don't know anyone who's an expert on these motors, so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'll be buying a few parts to be installed while it's out:

Water Pump
Clutch
Cap/Rotor/Plug Wires

I was going to go genuine GM, put if anyone has advice, I'm opene for suggestions. Thanks so much.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

With the rings, and checking piston wear, I would do new ARP rod bolts, tank and clean the block, new melling oil pump with gm white spring. Check/polish the crank, with new cam, rod, & main bearings, and look into a timing set, new ls7 rollers, as a min, since you got it out.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Smoke on initial start up sounds like valve guide seals to me. They will leak residual oil into the intake port over night, then burn it when you first start it.

You should have him turn the crank as well.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know if there are any shops or mechanics in the Rochester area that are quite knowledgeable on the LT1s?

Quick Reply: 97 LT1 Rebuild Advice?