LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ABS INOP Light is on because of third brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS INOP Light is on because of third brake light?

I have a 95 Z with a stock spoiler and went to an aftermarket fiberglass 98-02 SS spoiler and now my ABS INOP light is on. The led third brake light is working but when i switch it back to the old light the ABS light goes off. Any ideas why it does this? and HOW do I fix it? Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go:
http://shbox.com/1/relay_for_ss_spoiler.jpg
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Launching!

So how exactly do I go about re-wiring it according to the diagram??
Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Noah's95z28
So how exactly do I go about re-wiring it according to the diagram??
To be honest, I couldn't wire a light bulb to a potato, but maybe someone else can help you.

I just remembered it because I'll have to figure it out when I go to put my SS spoiler on.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

fyi, it's not just a harmless ses light, your ABS really is inoperable. I used the AC relay from the relay box under the hood, as mine is inoperable and not used and followed the diagram above. I cut wires from the old spoiler and spliced them into the new spoiler wires, and connected them to the relay appropriately, if I am remembering that correctly..
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so here is a quick lesson on what you need to do and why.

LED's don't need or pull the power that incandescant(sp?) bulbs require, threfor if you replace something that had a regular bulb with something that uses LED's you need to also add additional resistance tot he circut so other things that monitor or work with them work properly.

Shoebox had a good idea of useing the resistance in a 12V relay coil, but this can also be done by getting the proper size resister and wireing it in parallel as shown in shoebox's diagram. This masks the amount of ressitance being pulled to make the system think it has regular bulbs in there.

All you need to actually do, is wire it up somewhere in the circut leading to the LED harness, Shoebox has colors listed of what goes to the LED's but it can be done anywhere in the circut and probably the best place is behind the interior panel that the rear seat speakers are in on the driver side. You will see the wires going up there that head out to the brake light eventually and can put the relay (or resister) there so the rest of the wiring is untouched and you don't have the relay rattling around in the hatch.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Thanks I will see what i get figured out.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP Light is on because of third brake light?