LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will these LT's work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will these LT's work?

I have the chance to buy a LT1 with Impalla LT headers. Can I get these to work on a 94 Z28?

And other than the heads is there anything else that would keep me from putting this in my car? Is the opti the same?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No they wont fit the car, what year is the LT1?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
No they wont fit the car, what year is the LT1?
Good to know.

OP, other than the headers not fitting the body, nothing else will prevent you from using that engine.

There are some differences over the years, but nothing that can't be worked around or changed to use the engine. If you remove your engine and install the new one using your current wire harness and PCM, you should have no issues.

Also the heads performance difference between the iron heads and alum ones are negligible, only notable difference is the weight.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok if the heads flow simalar (iron or aluminum) use them untouched, put in a 224/230 LPE cam, 1.6rr, CAI, 3000 stall, delete the cats, add LTs header and full exhaust what would I see at the wheels? I will be adding the NANO and N20 of a 150 shot.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
Ok if the heads flow simalar (iron or aluminum) use them untouched, put in a 224/230 LPE cam, 1.6rr, CAI, 3000 stall, delete the cats, add LTs header and full exhaust what would I see at the wheels? I will be adding the NANO and N20 of a 150 shot.
If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 320 rwhp on motor.

One thing you have to note is that the iron heads have press fit rocker arm studs, so you have to get them pulled and tapped if you want to run any aftermarket ARP rocker arm studs. Also the iron heads might have issues with some springs (I think the valve guide diameter is slightly larger, not sure), you might have to do some research. 96CapriceMgr will know what you can and cannot use.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 320 rwhp on motor.

One thing you have to note is that the iron heads have press fit rocker arm studs, so you have to get them pulled and tapped if you want to run any aftermarket ARP rocker arm studs. Also the iron heads might have issues with some springs (I think the valve guide diameter is slightly larger, not sure), you might have to do some research. 96CapriceMgr will know what you can and cannot use.
I have 374 aluminum heads on the block out of the Camaro. I will just swap heads, put new head gaskets on the old block along with the iron heads and sell it off. The engine ran fine just blew white smoke every now and then, guessing it would be worth $300.00-$400.00 for a long block with rebuilt heads and the opti. The engine is a 94 with 120K miles.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
I have 374 aluminum heads on the block out of the Camaro. I will just swap heads, put new head gaskets on the old block along with the iron heads and sell it off. The engine ran fine just blew white smoke every now and then, guessing it would be worth $300.00-$400.00 for a long block with rebuilt heads and the opti. The engine is a 94 with 120K miles.
The 374 heads are one of the "desired" heads for porting. If you have the money and you are going through all of the effort to swap engines and do a cam swap at the same time, you might consider sending out your alum heads for porting. If money won't allow, try to at least get a valve job and a slight mill.

Quick Reply: Will these LT's work?