LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How-to mod an opti?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to mod an opti?

Hey guys I have to replace my opti in my car, and I know I've seen something about putting locktite on some of the bolts? I don't have the opti yet so I don't know what bolts are being referenced, does anyone have a how-to with pictures preferably? Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by k0261886
Hey guys I have to replace my opti in my car, and I know I've seen something about putting locktite on some of the bolts? I don't have the opti yet so I don't know what bolts are being referenced, does anyone have a how-to with pictures preferably? Thanks
You want to do 1 maybe two things.

First you will need a "E4" inverted torx socket. Autozone carries them. You need that tool to remove the cap.

Once you have the cap off, you will see the rotor and the two torx screws that hold the rotor to the base. They are tiny, something like a T5. Remove each rotor screw and apply a dab of thread locker to the threads and reinsert the screw. That's it, this will ensure that your rotor screws don't back out from vibrations and detach your rotor.

Second optional mod would be to apply silicone to he mating surfaces of the opti cap to the middle plastic peice and the middle piece to the base. You'll see what I'm talking about. Apply a nice bead of silicone, be sure to not get any silicone inside your opti. This will ensure that your opti stay s moisture free.

Another thing that I have seen in hi-po applications is to drill out the plastic rivets that hold the metal pointer to the rotor and install some nice metal rivets in place of them.

Doing all that should provide you with a problem free distributor for more than 100k miles. One last thing you need to do is alway make sure that your water pump is sealed properly and not leaking/weaping.

Quick Reply: How-to mod an opti?