LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New guy in here, project pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New guy in here, project pics included.

Whats going on everyone? My names Shawn. I'm more of a Ford guy, but have loved F-bodies since I was kid. My grandmother had an 81 Turbo Trans Am, her boyfriend had a 90 RS, and my best friend growing up had an 88 Camaro, 88 Trans am, and 90 Trans Am clone. Being around F-bodies so much made me develop a soft spot.

Anyways, I picked up my first F-body earlier this year, a 97 Trans Am, LT1/M6 car with a majority of the options, at least the ones that matter anyways. The car had a lot of work done to it last year, had a tune up, new opti, pushrods replaced, and a few other odd's and ends. I bought the car with a bent pushrod, got a new set of lifters, some pushrods, and she was good to go for a little while. This is the car after I got it, and just washed it.

Dont mind the orange hue, the sun was low and behind me, casting an orange glow on the car.

So the fateful day came that the car overheated due to a leak I couldn't see, and it popped a headgasket. Me being the opportunist I am, I decided to do all of the basic bolt ons. It's still in progress, but the list so far is:

-Rebuilt heads with a 3-angle valve job
-Comp Pro Mag 1.6 NSA rockers with guideplates, studs, and hardened pushrods
-LT4 springs
-Pacesetter coated long tubes and y-pipe
-Hooker catback
-Air Foil
-EGR/AIR delete
-Trifecta tune
-LT4 KM
-OTVC wire setup

I know there is more I'm forgetting, but that's the important stuff.

Here it is in progress, the FRC's and VC's are just sitting there to make me feel better about all the money I've spent

Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a nice looking car man! and i like the list of parts you have. are you going to mill or use thinner gaskets on the heads ? if so youll probably need a different length pushrod (just so you know) and if your going to spend the money on springs id suggest you look into the patriot performance springs
Old 06-20-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heads had very little taken off, I consulted an engine shop, and they said it wasn't even worth worrying about pushrod length, it was only enough to make sure the surface was true, and to put a little pattern on the deck of the heads.

The list that I have is whats already on the car, or laying here in my room. I picked up the LT4 springs for something like 40 bucks new, and I have no intentions of going with an aftermarket cam, or revving to the moon, I just wanted something that will handle the 1.6rr's, or possibly 1.7's in the future, and the LT4 springs seemed up to the task.

I do appreciate the compliments and suggestions though, and it sounds like you've got yourself a pretty nice setup yourself.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on going to 1.7s, you will want to ditch the LT4s for something more substantial (at least I would). LT4 springs have a very limited application base.

Quick Reply: New guy in here, project pics included.