LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Correctly Aligning Crank/Hub and Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correctly Aligning Crank/Hub and Pulley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996 Vette LT1

Since this is only the 2nd LT1 I've built and because I can't find Volume 2 of my FSM set, I want to check my memory on the alignment just to be sure I do it right.

When installing the hub, I'm supposed to align the DOT on the hub with the keyway groove in the crank snout. then when installing the damper/balancer/pulley, I'm supposed to alight the cast-in arrow with the hub's DOT.

Am I correct? I want to prevent any chance of a vibration in my son's 96 LT1Vette.

Thanks for any help.

Jake
Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996 Vette LT1

Since this is only the 2nd LT1 I've built and because I can't find Volume 2 of my FSM set, I want to check my memory on the alignment just to be sure I do it right.

When installing the hub, I'm supposed to align the DOT on the hub with the keyway groove in the crank snout. then when installing the damper/balancer/pulley, I'm supposed to alight the cast-in arrow with the hub's DOT.

Am I correct? I want to prevent any chance of a vibration in my son's 96 LT1Vette.

Thanks for any help.

Jake
I don't remember a dot on the crank hub, but most have a white line. FYI, the harmonic balancer and crank hub are asymmetric, you can only mount the balancer on the hub one way. Put the crank bolt and some washers into the crank and turn the engine over til you get #1 at TDC. Then install the hub onto the engine taking into account that you would want the cast in arrow of the balancer to point straight up when you do.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 06-22-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a dot on the crank gear which will be straight up when #1 and #6 are TDC. Then install the hub with the arrow/line at 12 oclock, and then install the pulley with it at 12 oclock too.

Quick Reply: Correctly Aligning Crank/Hub and Pulley