LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car running hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car running hot

i rebuilt my motor this year and put a small cam in it. i drove it for the first time today and my digtal temp gauge said the car was 212 going down the freeway with the fans on. i opend the bleeder screws and got coolant out so i think all of the air is out. the waterpump is only a year old. i dont know if its running hot because the motor needs broken in more or somthing. what do u guys think?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I had my heads hot tanked the machinist didn't remove my sensor for the guage and it was reading all kinds of hot. What I did was warmed it up until the fans came on and I was certain coolant was circulating, CAREFULLY opened the radiator cap and stuck a thermometer into the rad and my guage was off by a good 80 degrees.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Everytime I drain the system, what I do is remove the thermostat and fill the block up at the water pump (prevents creating an air pocket behind the thermostat). Then I put the thermostat housing on.
Then what I do is (with the car completely cooled down) fill up at the radiator with both bleeder screws open. Once I see coolant come out of the bleeder screws I cap them. Then I top off the radiator. Run the car until it reaches operating temperature. Then I let it cool down all the way and repeat the procedure until when I open the radiator cap the coolant is all the way to the top.

Doing that will ensure that there is no air in your cooling system.
After that if you still have heating issues I wouls suspect your guage or a bad thermostat.

Quick Reply: car running hot