LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catalytic converter!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter!!

where do you guys put them with pacesetter LT and ORY. I have clearence issues on the driver side.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 PM

With the ORY, the y bolts in past the converter original spot. As a matter of fact, you need to cut off some of the intermediate cat-back pipe.

Unless you really need a cat, dont.

Otherwise a custom y with a cat is needed or a bullet type converter, but I am not sure if you can get one in without hitting the body.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Delete them.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

I just deleted my cats...I hate those effing things and they are worthless...I am in Wyoming where they dont do emissions testing so I can get away with it easily...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

The real issue though is finding an exhaust shop that will trust you enough to do work on the system for you without cats...most wont touch it...especially midas, meineke, etc... Where I live there are only 2 shops that will touch it, and I wont name those shops...otherwise, D-I-Y
Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
The real issue though is finding an exhaust shop that will trust you enough to do work on the system for you without cats...most wont touch it...especially midas, meineke, etc... Where I live there are only 2 shops that will touch it, and I wont name those shops...otherwise, D-I-Y
As long as they aren't the ones removing your cats or something else illegal, there shouldn't be an issue. Just tell them it's a track only car...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

They still wont touch it here...I tried lol. I told them track car, show only car, etc...nothin. They are a bunch of weenies. I guess a shop in this town got ratted on and got fined 20 grand and told the next time they would be shut down...

I forgot to mention though. If you delete the cats, dont forget to get O2 Sims...Your car will run like CRAP if you dont. A/F Ratio will get all messed up and yeah, bad juju. You will need 2, and they are just a plug-n-play setup so it would take 30 seconds each to install. Then just tie the ends off somewhere with zip ties so they dont drag or burn, and your good to go.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

They still wont touch it here...I tried lol. I told them track car, show only car, etc...nothin. They are a bunch of weenies. I guess a shop in this town got ratted on and got fined 20 grand and told the next time they would be shut down...

I forgot to mention though. If you delete the cats, dont forget to get O2 Sims...Your car will run like CRAP if you dont. A/F Ratio will get all messed up and yeah, bad juju. You will need 2, and they are just a plug-n-play setup so it would take 30 seconds each to install. Then just tie the ends off somewhere with zip ties so they dont drag or burn, and your good to go.
I corrected you on this before...the rear o2's do nothing for your A/F ratios, they only serve to monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converters...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

I was told that they monitor that, and if it reads wrong, like it will when you remove the CATS, the computer adjusts the a/f ratio to compensate for what the rear O2's are telling them.

I apologize if I seem un-educated but if I am wrong it is because I was misinformed by someone I thought I could trust on the issue lol. If I AM wrong, what will happen if you delete the CATS and leave the rear O2's? I dont wanna keep thinking the wrong thing
Old 06-26-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was told that they monitor that, and if it reads wrong, like it will when you remove the CATS, the computer adjusts the a/f ratio to compensate for what the rear O2's are telling them.

I apologize if I seem un-educated but if I am wrong it is because I was misinformed by someone I thought I could trust on the issue lol. If I AM wrong, what will happen if you delete the CATS and leave the rear O2's? I dont wanna keep thinking the wrong thing
You were misinformed. The front o2 sensors actually monitor o2 levels and adjust your A/F ratios accordingly. The rear o2 sensors only compare the o2 readings before and after the cat to monitor it's efficiency. If the effeciency is below threshold (bad cats, gutted cats, no cats), it will set a code, that's it. O2 sims only serve to keep the code from being set. You can do the same by tuning out your rear o2's.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, ok, I apologize to the OP and everyone else for incorrect information. I will definately talk to that source again and get him to stop giving out incorrect info as well.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Back to the original topic and what I was getting at before using the info I just recieved lol...If you take out the cats either get O2 sims, or tune out the rear O2's to stop that SES light and code from popping up.

Thanks ss.slp.ls1
Old 06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only down side to tuning them out, is here in IL they do emmissions inspections by plugging into the obdII port on 96 and newer vehicles. If you just tune them out they still show a fault, because it shows unable to read on their scanner, therefore you need to run sims in order to pass here in IL. This was the main reason for finding a 95 and prior f-body when I was shopping, on 95 and older they no longer test.....hehehe, I love cheating the system....
Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

lol, nice. I have sims on my 97 SS
Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

to the OP, if you don't have to do a visual inspection, I would just leave them off....chances are if you do have to do one, you will fail anyway with LT's..
Old 06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

where do you guys get the o2 sims, I am in IL.. I made sure to get all the egr and air pipes hooked up, needless to say what a pain in the *** the egr was.

I still need a tune though... im pretty sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by duh
only down side to tuning them out, is here in IL they do emmissions inspections by plugging into the obdII port on 96 and newer vehicles. If you just tune them out they still show a fault, because it shows unable to read on their scanner, therefore you need to run sims in order to pass here in IL. This was the main reason for finding a 95 and prior f-body when I was shopping, on 95 and older they no longer test.....hehehe, I love cheating the system....
Are you sure about that. I had some dudes on the Midwest forums say they have codes tuned out on their Cammed, catless, loud, smelly cars and they passed flying colors.

If you tune the code out, isn't it just supposed to be something that doesn't come up.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

So you dont get inspected in IL with 95 and older?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wonder if it hurt the car if i cut the 2 cat out ? i dont have moneys for LT header rigth now.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killagt
I just wonder if it hurt the car if i cut the 2 cat out ? i dont have moneys for LT header rigth now.
No, you don't do the roller or visual anymore in IL for 95 or older.

No it does not hurt the car. A tune may be beneficial, though.

But I say you just leave it alone, and save up. Don't spend money twice.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by integraxtc
No, you don't do the roller or visual anymore in IL for 95 or older.

No it does not hurt the car. A tune may be beneficial, though.

But I say you just leave it alone, and save up. Don't spend money twice.
that real talk right there, thanks.