LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Educate me on distributors

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009 | 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on distributors

First of all, what's the difference between a distributor, and just a cap and rotor kit?

Second, my distributor is leaking oil, but is functioning fine from what I can tell. Are there repair/seal/gasket kits I can get?
Old 07-01-2009 | 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles on it? If its alot best get a whole new unit. You can get just cap n rotor kits but, the a new distributer (opti-spark unit) will come with a new Optical sensor. Thus why i said if it has lots of miles just buy a whole new unit. Look up "thepartsladi" or lady.. i believe on Ebay for original AcDelco (also Delphi) for best prices on new authentic GM units. Original GM Units from my experience has worked best for me, veruses summit, accel, MSD versions.
Old 07-01-2009 | 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
First of all, what's the difference between a distributor, and just a cap and rotor kit?

Second, my distributor is leaking oil, but is functioning fine from what I can tell. Are there repair/seal/gasket kits I can get?
The distributor is a whole unit (includes base w/ optical sensor {sensor side} AND the cap and rotor {high voltage side}). The cap and rotor only replace the high voltage side of the distributor.

If you are leaking oil from behind the opti, odds are your distributor seal is bad. At this point you might as well remove the timing cover and replace all of the seals. It would also be a good time to do a cam swap too.
Old 07-01-2009 | 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The distributor is a whole unit (includes base w/ optical sensor {sensor side} AND the cap and rotor {high voltage side}). The cap and rotor only replace the high voltage side of the distributor.

If you are leaking oil from behind the opti, odds are your distributor seal is bad. At this point you might as well remove the timing cover and replace all of the seals. It would also be a good time to do a cam swap too.
lol, cam is in the plans, but not too soon. I'll pick up a set of timing cover seals for now then.
Old 07-02-2009 | 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why does it say that when you install the Felpro timing cover gasket set, you also have to do the oil pan?

Also is there any reason I shouldn't just buy this?
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...pe=167&PTSet=A
Old 07-02-2009 | 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Why does it say that when you install the Felpro timing cover gasket set, you also have to do the oil pan?

Also is there any reason I shouldn't just buy this?
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...pe=167&PTSet=A
Link didn't work.

In order to remove your timing cover you have to remove all of the oil pan bolt except for the last two. This will allow the front of the oil pan to lower the 1" it needs to free the timing cover. When you reinstall the timing cover, put a nice bead of RTV along where the oil pan seals to the timing cover.
Old 07-02-2009 | 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

the timing cover in the link is for a standard sbc. lt1's use a cam driven distributor so no that cover will not work. also agreed on gm opti seems to be the best replacment opti. I will always use gm... unless i run into some money and could afford one of these:
http://dynaspark.net/

Would definately like to try this out.

Quick Reply: Educate me on distributors