LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

About to buy headers need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy headers need some advice...

Im about to buy some headers for my car in the next two weeks. Not really sure which way I should go? Living in California I guess we have to install shorties (which I dont want) I hear the gains you get might not be worth it. So Im going the LT route.
I dont want to spend anymore than $500-$600 dollars. Which headers we give me the best bang for my bucks...? Also any good website that offer good pricing?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pacesetter is what you are looking for. texas speed is the best website to get them from.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you should consider getting some of the cheap stainless knockoffs. I believe there are knockoffs of both Kooks & Pacesetters available on EBay. I'm pretty sure I saw some Pacesetter knockoffs that came with emissions fittings, if you need that, but not sure about the Kooks.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

I like my uncoated pacesetters, well worth the money
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Go with some jet-hots!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have jet hot's on my Firehawk. Wouldn't reccomend them for lowered cars as the ground clearance is not as good as some other headers. But for a stock height car I like them alot. Install wasn't too bad either. But as far as price they ebay headers are the place to go.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
pacesetter is what you are looking for. texas speed is the best website to get them from.
Okay Ill look into those...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI if you live or the car is reg. in California, you NEED the C.A.R.B. certification for that modification.

I do not think there is a LT out there that is CARB certified.

Do yourself a favor and make sure your compliant. Or re reg the veh in a different state.

As for LT headers, I used Jet Hot LT which are a hooker style header, no issues except ceramic coating in the North East just doesnt last but they recoated for free.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

My Hookers are amazing
Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
FYI if you live or the car is reg. in California, you NEED the C.A.R.B. certification for that modification.

Do yourself a favor and make sure your compliant. Or re reg the veh in a different state.

As for LT headers, I used Jet Hot LT which are a hooker style header, no issues except ceramic coating in the North East just doesnt last but they recoated for free.
So is it even worth getting the shorties since LT in California arent CARB certified? and if it is which ones? what the HP gain?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

I live in CA and have LT's, !Cats, !EGR, !AIR.

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
So is it even worth getting the shorties since LT in California arent CARB certified? and if it is which ones? what the HP gain?
If you want to stay legal, Edelbrock stainless steel shorty headers are your best bet. You can expect maybe a 10rwhp difference. If you want to go for the real deal, Pacesetter coated headers & ORY are your best bet to fit your budget. You can expect a ~20 rwhp gain or more. The LT's will make more power with complementing mods. Plus they will sound much better too.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
Thats a question that only you can answer. Since CA is the only state where I have witnessed cops cracking down and making you show the proof of the CARB #'s. To me was never worth the Hassel.

Connecticut follows similar rules which are strict and techically for us, if the CAT is moved from the STOCK position, it makes it illegal which for LS1's in 2002, are PUP style CATs that are tucked into the engine bay, near the K -member. I have a Dynatech SuperMAXX system thats probably the best fitting, most complete LT w/ Catter Y-system but it can be failed by Emissions. Luckily I have managed to avoid such hassles.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I live in CA and have LT's, !Cats, !EGR, !AIR.

If you want to stay legal, Edelbrock stainless steel shorty headers are your best bet. You can expect maybe a 10rwhp difference. If you want to go for the real deal, Pacesetter coated headers & ORY are your best bet to fit your budget. You can expect a ~20 rwhp gain or more. The LT's will make more power with complementing mods. Plus they will sound much better too.
I think I'm going to go the Pacesetter LT and ORY route, thanks for the information guys
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

If i were you I would just wait and keep watching the Sale ads, I just seen a guy selling the older lpps brand new with y pipe for $500. I think its much better then getting the pacesetters. Not sure if the lpps come with egr and air though.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red-_-z28
My Hookers are amazing
Are you some sort of pimp?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dmaleck
If i were you I would just wait and keep watching the Sale ads, I just seen a guy selling the older lpps brand new with y pipe for $500. I think its much better then getting the pacesetters. Not sure if the lpps come with egr and air though.
Ive been looking for some LPP's..im actually on a waiting list now. Cant wait forever though.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

just put your ehaust manifulds back on when u smogg and u will be fine unless u get pulled over and they know what lts are..lol
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty sure there were some stainless pacesetter clones on EBay that included emissions fittings. I'm pretty sure they were less than 500 bucks for headers and Y-pipe. Mild steel headers are going to rust like a **** if that's of any concern. Do a search. I'm pretty sure someone on this site installed a set of the pacesetter knock offs.

Quick Reply: About to buy headers need some advice...