LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to connect a remote starter switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to connect a remote starter switch

I know this is a dumb question but I've searched and can't find an answer. I know you connect one end to the positive side of the battery, but where do I connect the other end to?

Or do both ends connect to the starter? If so where?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
I know this is a dumb question but I've searched and can't find an answer. I know you connect one end to the positive side of the battery, but where do I connect the other end to?

Or do both ends connect to the starter? If so where?

Thanks
I guess you would have to connect one end to the big stud (12v source) and the other to the little stud that the purple wire bolts to. Effectively bypassing your TDM/starter relay.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I guess you would have to connect one end to the big stud (12v source) and the other to the little stud that the purple wire bolts to. Effectively bypassing your TDM/starter relay.
Thanks. That worked.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I connect mine to a purple wire that runs in a harness from the PCM area down the right side of the motor toward the starter. I scraped some insulation off this wire, again near the PCM so I can hook up the switch from up top and not under the car. The other lead goes to 12V. The switch will trigger the relay to turn the starter on.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I connect mine to a purple wire that runs in a harness from the PCM area down the right side of the motor toward the starter. I scraped some insulation off this wire, again near the PCM so I can hook up the switch from up top and not under the car. The other lead goes to 12V. The switch will trigger the relay to turn the starter on.
It won't trigger the Relay cause you are no where near it..with what you did you just bypassed the Starter Relay completely and hard-wired a 12v power with a Switch to the Starter Wire. I hope you have a good switch.
I recommend actually wiring it into the Relay and using the Relay as it's designed before your car catches fire. Do you know where the Starter Relay is?

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
Are you trying to wire in something to work with the Keyless remote?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by the_merv
It won't trigger the Relay cause you are no where near it..with what you did you just bypassed the Starter Relay completely and hard-wired a 12v power with a Switch to the Starter Wire. I hope you have a good switch.
I recommend actually wiring it into the Relay and using the Relay as it's designed before your car catches fire. Do you know where the Starter Relay is?

Are you trying to wire in something to work with the Keyless remote?
That may be the case, maybe I am using the wrong terms. I am using a 20 amp switch from the shack which has worked well for the job for years.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

As long as it's working for you I guess it's good..lol

Quick Reply: Where to connect a remote starter switch