LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Caprice..Impala?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Caprice..Impala?

Do any of the Caprice's come with a LT1 or any other good engine?What about the Impala?Reason I ask is because I can't afford a 98+ F-Body with the LS1,and I heard that the LT1 F-Body's are a bitch to work on cause of the engine location.Also,I'm looking for a nice reliable car,that has some ***** behind it,and that I can also use as a nice show car.This is why I really want a Caprice.Is there any engine swaps I could do to a Caprice for under $2000?
Thanks
Old 11-15-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some caprices came with the LT1 as an option...cheaper just to find one of those than to buy one that isnt an LT1 car and then do a engine swap.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gangly
Some caprices came with the LT1 as an option...cheaper just to find one of those than to buy one that isnt an LT1 car and then do a engine swap.
Really???That's very interesting.Where can I buy a LT1 engine?Is there a better engine then that except the LS1(too expensive for one).Could I make a caprice fast?Or would you just recomend a camaro or firebird?
Old 11-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Teching In

A good way to get a Caprice w/ the lt1 is find an former cop car.
It is called the 9c1 police package. They are still around at some
city auctions and a few places specialize in x police cars. Go to these
sites for more Impala info. Impalassforum.com and also naisso.net
They even have a classified section w/ cars ready to sale in all conditions &
prices. There is a list on one that has 1/4 mi. times with the mods listed
on each car so you know what you will have to do. Stock SS is about
15 sec @90 mph, 145-152 top end. Add 3.73 gears, 2200/2400 stall, cold air, reprogram and you should be about 13 1/2 in the 1/4. About what a stock f body is. But you have 4 doors, lots of room and something a little diff than a f body. I even have adj. shocks & slicks and take my SS the the autocross and do quite well with it. It won't beat a z28 w/ a good driver but many mustangs, camaros, 300 z's have beat by the "cop car" as they call it. Anyhow, those a few good place to look. Good luck.
later
Babyhauler
Old 11-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Teching In

How much money does it take to mod these cars?Would I be better off with a LT1 Camaro?I like the fact that the Caprice is a nice daily driver,and yet you can make it real fast.What can I expect to get from it with 2K?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Well it depends on what you start with. A camaro is much faster.
If you have to spend most of your $2k on items just to get the junker you bought running right, it's not not going to be much faster. Now, if you spend
$10-14k on a nice Impala, it may have a few things on it. The 9c1 cop car can be had for $4-7, but will take more extras to get it looking like a SS. The stuff I mentioned earlier should be in the $2 or 2.5 range. Go to the Impala sites and look around to get a better idea.
later
babyhauler
Old 11-17-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion would be to go with the LT1 Camaro/Trans Am instead.

Quick Reply: Caprice..Impala?