LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Modified Carbed LT1 Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Carbed LT1 Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and I have a friend who owns a 95 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk which had the Corvette LT1 with 4 bolt mains. He just built up the engine Stroked it to a 383, dynoed at 525hp. He said the LT1's have problems with some gear that connects the water pump and distributor in high hp applications. When his engine builder dynoed it the gear was basically mangled and the timing chain stretched and was on the verge of breaking. So he went ahead and installed an electric water pump and removed that gear and switched to a crank fired spark system with a MSD box. It's also Carbed and he needs some advice on wiring it up. I'm assuming since it's not fuel injected he should no longer need the ECU(Correct me if I'm wrong please). I suggested going with an aftermarket system like the ISIS Power system or aftermarket harness if there's one available, since he would just need to power the MSD box. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kma5783
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and I have a friend who owns a 95 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk which had the Corvette LT1 with 4 bolt mains. He just built up the engine Stroked it to a 383, dynoed at 525hp. He said the LT1's have problems with some gear that connects the water pump and distributor in high hp applications. When his engine builder dynoed it the gear was basically mangled and the timing chain stretched and was on the verge of breaking. So he went ahead and installed an electric water pump and removed that gear and switched to a crank fired spark system with a MSD box. It's also Carbed and he needs some advice on wiring it up. I'm assuming since it's not fuel injected he should no longer need the ECU(Correct me if I'm wrong please). I suggested going with an aftermarket system like the ISIS Power system or aftermarket harness if there's one available, since he would just need to power the MSD box. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

wire it up like any other small block chevy, mine is carbed with an HEI distributor,thats what i did
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by slownova73
wire it up like any other small block chevy, mine is carbed with an HEI distributor,thats what i did
I need to how to go about wiring it up though. Would he better off going with the factory harness and eliminating the ecu(Is there a need for the ecu with his setup?), putting together a custom harness, using a universal, or something like the isis power system. Has anyone done something similar with the distributor and water pump on a LT1?
Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kma5783
I need to how to go about wiring it up though. Would he better off going with the factory harness and eliminating the ecu(Is there a need for the ecu with his setup?), putting together a custom harness, using a universal, or something like the isis power system. Has anyone done something similar with the distributor and water pump on a LT1?
Thanks
i hav an electric water pump, and an HEI distributor, no optispark here, if it is carbed there is no need for the ecu at all, that is for fuel injection, as for your detailed wiring ??'s look up some small block chevy wiring diagrams online? there are some out ther u just hav to find them, it can be done, because ive did it, but my car is a 73 nova, not an originally fuel injected car so the wiring was easy!

Quick Reply: Modified Carbed LT1 Help