LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock M6 launch techniques

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock M6 launch techniques

Yes - I searched and read through some old threads. Because you know somebody is gonna suggest you just search.

So I finally got the clutch replaced in my Z and have finally been able to start working on launching the car. I'm going to head to the 1/4 mile next weekend and try to squeeze out something in the high 13's. I've been practicing my launch and I think I've got it about where I want it. I hold about 3000rpm, and release the clutch pretty quick while rolling to WOT. On the street, if I do this right, I get a little wheel spin, just enough to avoid a bog, the revs hang right around 3000rpm, the tires hook, and we go from there. I have no trouble getting though the gears quick, fresh clutch and Hurst short throw have that covered. At the track there is gonna be significantly more grip, so I expect I'm gonna have to play with the launch rpm some. On the street, if I try leaving with much more than 3000rpm, I'll end up with too much wheel spin and have to really pedal the car to hook the tires back up, anything less that 2800 will bog too much.

I'm on Pontenza RE750's, 245/50/16's - as far as tires go these are extremely grippy, unless you really ask for it, these babies STICK. The 275 Goodyear Eagles in my sig picture will smoke up from a roll, where as these I can't usually break loose once the car is rolling. Car has a K&N FIPK and a Magnaflow (I think) muffler, other than that its stock. Clutch is a stock replacement - holds great so far.

So, I'm curious, how are you M6 guys launching - street and strip? My other Camaro's have all been stalled auto's, kinda hard to get that wrong, next week will be something new for me. The only other manual car I've been to the strip with was a Contour SVT, and that had a historically weak diff, so I was leaving soft anyways. Track prep is obviously gonna be a huge part, historically the track I run at, NYIRP is usually pretty decent, but I haven't been down there yet this year, so you never know.

So yea, lets talk launches...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't launch too high with those sticky tires and new clutch

but yeah, sounds like on the street you've got it down, thats almost exactly my street launch.

I have yet to take it to the track, so I can't help you there
Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You know to do your burn out in second gear right?
While you are at the tree, let the clutch out slowly until you just feel it take up all the slack (don't let out so much so the car rolls forward). Do as you are already doing. Off the clutch and on with the gas very quickly, but don't pop it. You'll have to adjust your launch rpm to the track conditions. Just dial it in. I suggest after each run, when you get your time slip, write down the launch rpm in the back and any other details that you used to get out of the hole. Note if you had too much wheel spin, any bogging, how long of a burn out, tire pressue, any mod changes from the last run, even temp and humidity...This will help you log your tactics and hone your launching techniques. You'll have a visual reference to what is working for you and what is not.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You know to do your burn out in second gear right?
While you are at the tree, let the clutch out slowly until you just feel it take up all the slack (don't let out so much so the car rolls forward). Do as you are already doing. Off the clutch and on with the gas very quickly, but don't pop it. You'll have to adjust your launch rpm to the track conditions. Just dial it in. I suggest after each run, when you get your time slip, write down the launch rpm in the back and any other details that you used to get out of the hole. Note if you had too much wheel spin, any bogging, how long of a burn out, tire pressue, any mod changes from the last run, even temp and humidity...This will help you log your tactics and hone your launching techniques. You'll have a visual reference to what is working for you and what is not.
Agreed - I usually drag the clutch a touch to take up any play/slack in the driveline. I usually bring my videographer (wife) and will review things after a pass - she knows to grab the time so I can match each run up with each slip. I was thinking no burnout on street tires, just turn them over once or twice to clean any little stones or other junk they might have picked up.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by acammer
Agreed - I usually drag the clutch a touch to take up any play/slack in the driveline. I usually bring my videographer (wife) and will review things after a pass - she knows to grab the time so I can match each run up with each slip. I was thinking no burnout on street tires, just turn them over once or twice to clean any little stones or other junk they might have picked up.
I think it's time for you to step up to some Mickey Thompsons and launch to your full potential...
What's your best 60' time to date?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I think it's time for you to step up to some Mickey Thompsons and launch to your full potential...
What's your best 60' time to date?
This cars never been to the track, I got it this spring with a marginal clutch - if you tired to launch it hard it would just pull through the clutch. I could 60' my old 305 3rd gen to ~1.9x - 2500rpm stall, 700R4 with a shift kit and vette servos, 3.73/posi on BFG KDWs, mild cam (204/214@.05), 1406 Edlebrock carb, Summit HEI, ZZ3 intake, SLP headers and Y dumped on the passengers side. - car was more of an autocross, it was lowered w/ poly every bushings, crazy swaybars, wonderbar, high ratio steering box, LCA's, panhard bar, on and on... it really needed LCARBs to realize its potential for drag, but it didn't have the motor for it either. Mid 90's through the lights - probably only around 200-220rwhp.

I'd like to think I could cut a couple 2.0x on street tires with this car, it hooks really well on the street - VHT isn't gonna hurt a bit. MT's might be in the cards if I decide to get serious with the car - if I spend some money it'll be a cam only (CC503 I would think), headers back, and 4.10's - tuned of course. A setup like that ought to touch 12's on DR's, right?

Last edited by acammer; 07-29-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

This cars never been to the track, I got it this spring with a marginal clutch - if you tired to launch it hard it would just pull through the clutch. I could 60' my old 305 3rd gen to ~1.9x - 2500rpm stall, 700R4 with a shift kit and vette servos, 3.73/posi on BFG KDWs, mild cam (204/214@.05), 1406 Edlebrock carb, Summit HEI, ZZ3 intake, SLP headers and Y dumped on the passengers side. - car was more of an autocross, it was lowered w/ poly every bushings, crazy swaybars, wonderbar, high ratio steering box, LCA's, panhard bar, on and on... it really needed LCARBs to realize its potential for drag, but it didn't have the motor for it either. Mid 90's through the lights - probably only around 200-220rwhp.

I'd like to think I could cut a couple 2.0x on street tires with this car, it hooks really well on the street - VHT isn't gonna hurt a bit. MT's might be in the cards if I decide to get serious with the car - if I spend some money it'll be a cam only (CC503 I would think), headers back, and 4.10's - tuned of course. A setup like that ought to touch 12's on DR's, right?
CC503, bolt-on's, 4.10's, DR's, tune, and good air should get you 12's EASY.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Launching!

cc503, bolt-on's, 4.10's, dr's, tune, and good air should get you 12's easy.
possibly high 11's
Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

y is it better to burn out in 2nd?

ive always done it in 1st. is this bad?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
y is it better to burn out in 2nd?

ive always done it in 1st. is this bad?
burn out in 2nd...not 1st...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Agreed - I was thinking no burnout on street tires, just turn them over once or twice to clean any little stones or other junk they might have picked up.
yes...no need to do a "BURNOUT" on street tires...just raises the air pressure inside them..few spins to clen them off is ll you need on a street tire

A MT...yes heat it uo with a burn out
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always heard to burn out in 2nd too, but never really tried it. Do you just shift into second while you're doing the burn out, or do you actually start it in 2nd?

<<<<Still a newb.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I've always heard to burn out in 2nd too, but never really tried it. Do you just shift into second while you're doing the burn out, or do you actually start it in 2nd?

<<<<Still a newb.
Start in second - should break right loose if its been through the water. Heating the tires isn't really for street tired cars anyways, just you want to go around the box, and give them just a turn or two to clear them of any debris before you stage.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

start in second - should break right loose if its been through the water. Heating the tires isn't really for street tired cars anyways, just you want to go around the box, and give them just a turn or two to clear them of any debris before you stage.
+1...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't understand the advantage to starting in second. First gear burnout at about 3500 RPM for a few secs works fine for me. You don't have to heat up DRs or slicks these days to get them real sticky like you used to.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
I still don't understand the advantage to starting in second. First gear burnout at about 3500 RPM for a few secs works fine for me. You don't have to heat up DRs or slicks these days to get them real sticky like you used to.

Depends on the compound.. People usually burn-out in second to get to a higher speed (meaning tire will be spinning faster --> more heat)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

god i feel newbish... but just rev the bitch up and dump it in second and it should spin? can you do this on the street as well???
Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02ws666
god i feel newbish... but just rev the bitch up and dump it in second and it should spin? can you do this on the street as well???
You have an LS1.. The car should be able to do it on it's own.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

You might be able to spin street tires in second if you really get after it, especially with 4.10s - but usually at the track you're doing it in the water box so its pretty easy. I don't know what reason there would be to try to start a burn-out in second on a dry street though - this would be pretty rough on the drive-train - when you're in the waterbox the tires break loose nice and easy.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Street might be a little harder to spin DR's in 2nd. That's why I usually take a jug of water out to the street races. I make my own water box.

Quick Reply: Stock M6 launch techniques