LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wiring Harness Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness Mod?

The motor is out and the wiring harness is just sitting there looking like it needs some loving. I am thinking about cutting out all the connectors that I no longer need/use. For example, front o2's, Cags, ABS, egr, air, and anything else I don't need.

A local guy is gonna charge me 150 to do it, but I am trying to do this as cheaply as I can since I am looking at getting married soon.

How many of you guys have done this and is there anything I need to be careful of?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
The motor is out and the wiring harness is just sitting there looking like it needs some loving. I am thinking about cutting out all the connectors that I no longer need/use. For example, front o2's, Cags, ABS, egr, air, and anything else I don't need.

A local guy is gonna charge me 150 to do it, but I am trying to do this as cheaply as I can since I am looking at getting married soon.

How many of you guys have done this and is there anything I need to be careful of?
You can just cut the unused connections shortly after they come out of the main harness and tape up the end of each wire individually and then hide them in the main harness bundle. Should only take you a few mins. If it were me, I'd just tape or ziptie the unused wires to the harness and leave them in tact. Never know whey you might need them again.

P.S. Do you have a speed density tune? Why wouldn't you need your front o2's?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You can just cut the unused connections shortly after they come out of the main harness and tape up the end of each wire individually and then hide them in the main harness bundle. Should only take you a few mins. If it were me, I'd just tape or ziptie the unused wires to the harness and leave them in tact. Never know whey you might need them again.

P.S. Do you have a speed density tune? Why wouldn't you need your front o2's?
I do have a speed Density tune but your front O2's are deleted with pretty much any mail order tune, especially if you have LT's.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I do have a speed Density tune but your front O2's are deleted with pretty much any mail order tune, especially if you have LT's.
You mean rear o2's, your front o2's are not deleted when you get LT's and should remain to monitor your bank 1 and bank 2 a/f ratios...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you get an open loop tune, in which case your o2s are all muted and not used.

Honestly - If that guy is charging $150 to do it I'll gladly do it for $100. It shouldn't cost you anything to snip snip (or hide the connectors) and tape it up. One thing I regret not doing when I was doing my engine swap is to entirely take apart the wiring harness and reroute the wires, tuck stuff away, hide stuff, etc. There's a guy on here that made it so you basically can't even tell the harness is there because all the wires are hidden... looks awesome.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You mean rear o2's, your front o2's are not deleted when you get LT's and should remain to monitor your bank 1 and bank 2 a/f ratios...
LOL sorry meant rear.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meissenation
Unless you get an open loop tune, in which case your o2s are all muted and not used.

Honestly - If that guy is charging $150 to do it I'll gladly do it for $100. It shouldn't cost you anything to snip snip (or hide the connectors) and tape it up. One thing I regret not doing when I was doing my engine swap is to entirely take apart the wiring harness and reroute the wires, tuck stuff away, hide stuff, etc. There's a guy on here that made it so you basically can't even tell the harness is there because all the wires are hidden... looks awesome.
Yeah, that's what I kinda want to do, but just don't know if I have the time or patience to do it. Buddy in KC did it to his and it looked great.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Damn.. I'd do it for like $20..lol

I built the ones that I have in my Car so to me that stuff is easy..
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Merv, when you did yours did you just snip it where it goes into the Harness or did you follow the wires all the way back and take out everything? I'm trying to lose a little weight also.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I completely broke down the Harness and stripped everything that was useless out. My Harness looks aneroxic..lol

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness Mod?