LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick question during OPTI install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick question during OPTI install

Ok I am in the middle of replacing my WP/OPTI and just got the new (delphi) opti reinstalled. I still have the intake/ WP and all the coolant drained outta the block. Is it ok to plug back in the sensors (MAF etc) and start the car WITHOUT the waterpump installed or coolant lines/ radiator hooked up? I know you cant run it for a long time like this but would a test start (10seconds or something short like that) damage anything? I just hate to put everything back on only to have to take it all back down again and risk another antifreeze shower...dont ask.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

as long as the car has been sitting for a while and is cold then you will be fine for a few seconds...it will get HOT FAST though....also when you do hook all the coolant lines back up and everything, make sure you bleed the air out of the system
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

haha,(laughs at the shower) yes it will be fine to test start it. running it for a minute or so wont hurt a thing. after it gets heat soaked it will take forever to cool down without coolant in it for a restart. but the first cold start wont hurt a thing. if you have your cold air and stuff disconected leave the maf unplugged. if its not actually metering the air it wont run right.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I still have the cold air, maf, fans, and I think that its it still unhooked. Took me forever to find the 3rd bolt holding the air pump bracket to the block. Why would you hide something like that completely out of sight?? What all is actually involved in removing the air pump? just take the pump off and leave everything unplugged/zipped out of the way? I already had it (and egr) deleted from my tune but haven't done my exhaust yet so its still on. Right now its not "exactly" on but if it wasn't a big deal I might just leave it off since I shouldnt throw a code. I am still using the stock manifolds but what else would I need to do to leave this part off or, should I just put it back on until I do the headers?

Last edited by jaywalkersw; 08-11-2009 at 10:29 PM.