LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad 02/knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad 02/knock sensor?

i've got a couple of issues that i think are related...when i crank my car cold...it runs great..no issues...but after it warms up..i get a little hesitation off idle and my header/y-pipe starts bumping the floor...no matter how lightly i accelerate..after it bumps a while..my SES light comes on and stays on while cruising..but as soon as i get on the brakes and slow down..the SES light goes off, only to come back on again when i accelerate....

here's my theory..bad 02's are jacking up my timing which is causing my engine to buck a little more than normal..this is causing my headers/y-pipe to bump...after they bump a while..my knock sensor is going off and jacking up my timing even further...i'm sure its the knock that is throwing my SES light..and i'm sure its the knock coupled with o2's that are causing my hesitation/performance loss.

what do u guys think? i'm shopping for a scanner on the cheap right now just to confirm that the SES light is knock sensor

what are my options? whats the harm in leaving o2's unplugged? i dont have emission testing..will it hurt performance? what about the knock sensor? do i need LT4 knock module?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Not too sure about the ses light, but i know my knock sensors turn on when my car rattles or shakes when i accelerate at WOT, it kinda sucks because it retards your timing. Do not unplug your O2 it will cause your computer to go into open loop which is bad you can lean out your car. Its because you do not get right A/F mix.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your motor mounts. My headers use to hit the floor cause my stock motor mounts were done for.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Ahh have you had it scanned to see what the codes are?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM

This exact same thing is happening to me right now
my new headers and or y pipe is hitting on the floor when i accelerate to hard specially from a stop can this be causing my knock sensor to go off?

i reset it with predator tuner and comes back like 1 day later ?

im getting the knock sensor code also when i diagnose it

any suggestions guys? plz help!

Quick Reply: bad 02/knock sensor?