LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice

I need a spool for my car its a 1995 m6 lt1 camaro it has 3 series 3.73 gears and i just want to know if this is the right part for my rear end i dont know much about the rear end so i just want to make sure if its the right part before i buy. THANKS

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RMG-78-7526-1/
Old 09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard of a spool for our tiny, crappy rearends. I believe the one your looking at is for dirt tracking, it's not for the street or strip.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I've never heard of a spool for our tiny, crappy rearends. I believe the one your looking at is for dirt tracking, it's not for the street or strip.
You've never heard of one because no one buys them.

They do make them, but putting one in a 10-bolt doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

well my rear end went out the spyder gears broke... so some one told me just buy a spool to lock up both tires and have posi all the time ....its only a $100 and i can get it installed for $90 ...i was going to buy a used 95 lt1 m6 rear end for $200 but i was thinking just puting a spool would be a better set up what do you all guys think and i just wanted to know if this is the right one becaus i dont know much about rear ends
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RED PUNISHER Z
well my rear end went out the spyder gears broke... so some one told me just buy a spool to lock up both tires and have posi all the time ....its only a $100 and i can get it installed for $90 ...i was going to buy a used 95 lt1 m6 rear end for $200 but i was thinking just puting a spool would be a better set up what do you all guys think and i just wanted to know if this is the right one becaus i dont know much about rear ends
If you do any normal amounts of driving (DD, weekend, whatever), you probably do not want a spool. It may be worth it to get the 95 3.42 rear for $200 (which is a decent price).

Posi/open carriers are designed so that during turns the outside wheel can spin faster than the inside wheel. By locking both wheels together the outside (or inside wheel) will skip and lose traction. This will become fairly annoying quickly. Driving normally isn't so bad, but parking lots and tight turns will not be much fun. Not to mention you can kiss driving in the rain goodbye.

I drive my T/A maybe 3 or 4 times a month and I run a spool only because I wanted the best in traction at the strip.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You've never heard of one because no one buys them.

They do make them, but putting one in a 10-bolt doesn't make much sense to me.
I stand corrected. Who sells a spool for the 10 bolt, the only ones I've found are the mini spools?