LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 builders enter here

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 builders enter here

Getting started on finishing my heads and cam install on my 94 LT1 A4 Camaro and have some questions .
1. What Cloyes double roller T/C part # fits a 94 LT1 ? I've seen different #s
2. Is there any modifying needed for a double roller t/c ?
3. What oil pump should I use ?

These are the first parts I need to buy to get the bottom half buttoned up before I install the heads . By the way I have the engine on a engine stand . The engine is a stock bottom end with LE1 heads and cam with 80k miles on the engine . Thanks in advance .
Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cat back 21
Getting started on finishing my heads and cam install on my 94 LT1 A4 Camaro and have some questions .
1. What Cloyes double roller T/C part # fits a 94 LT1 ? I've seen different #s
2. Is there any modifying needed for a double roller t/c ?
3. What oil pump should I use ?

These are the first parts I need to buy to get the bottom half buttoned up before I install the heads . By the way I have the engine on a engine stand . The engine is a stock bottom end with LE1 heads and cam with 80k miles on the engine . Thanks in advance .
1.) I used Cloyes #3146.

2.) Quite a bit actually. You need to use the longer 93-95 crank hub, an electric water pump (after deleting the water pump drive gear), convert to a vented optispark setup, and use a 95+ timing cover.

3.) For the oil pump for your setup on a stock bottom end, the stock one is plenty. You may want to change to the white spring to bump the pressure slightly though. If you insist on a new pump, I'd go with the Melling select 10554 standard volume/pressure.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
1.) I used Cloyes #3146.

2.) Quite a bit actually. You need to use the longer 93-95 crank hub, an electric water pump (after deleting the water pump drive gear), convert to a vented optispark setup, and use a 95+ timing cover.

3.) For the oil pump for your setup on a stock bottom end, the stock one is plenty. You may want to change to the white spring to bump the pressure slightly though. If you insist on a new pump, I'd go with the Melling select 10554 standard volume/pressure.
1.Ahh yes , I forgot to mention I already have an electric water pump , a MSD vented opti , and I do have the long 94 crank hub , Ive read some guys grind some meat off the timing cover to make them fit , If I get A 95+ timing cover do I still need to grind off material ?
2. where do you get the white spring ?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

If I get A 95+ timing cover do I still need to grind off material ?
Yes, mine had to be clearanced some.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1.Ahh yes , I forgot to mention I already have an electric water pump , a MSD vented opti , and I do have the long 94 crank hub , Ive read some guys grind some meat off the timing cover to make them fit , If I get A 95+ timing cover do I still need to grind off material ?
2. where do you get the white spring ?
The GM part number for the white spring is 3848911.

I did have to grind some material off of the timing cover, but not much at all (more like sanded, not grinded). Most notably is where the water pump drive protrudes. The metal tabs (on the back side) need to come completely off where the seal used to be.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

with my 95 cover I had to do alot of grinding for my Doug Hebert racing Double roller
Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408StrokerSS
with my 95 cover I had to do alot of grinding for my Doug Hebert racing Double roller
so I guess I can use my 94 cover and my 94 balancer hub right ?
I'm thinking of buying a high volume meiling oil pump from Autozone , I'm just wondering if I should replace the spring on it ? Or should I just re use my old oil pump and replace the spring ?

Quick Reply: LT1 builders enter here