LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Internal engine Noise-Video in. What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

A broom stick handle works as a makeshift stethoscope too. It's hard to tell what it could be by just listening. Best thing to do is start removing the valve covers, examining valvetrain components, readjust valvetrain, start to see if noise is still there, if so then progress by taking more **** off the engine until you find the problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the valve cover off and se if there is a loose rocker, If so, check the front passangers side hold down for the lifters. Ive seen 3 of these where the hold down"spider' tray will bend back letting the lifter bar"dog bone" rise up and lets the lifters spin. Hope fuly not but check while the valve cover is off
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM

I got the stethoscope from sears, went with it all over the engine compartment and you may not believe where I hear it the LOUDEST with the stethoscope :

In the CLUTCH area when placing it on the bellhousing ...

What exactly could be spinning in there to make that type of noise ONLY when it's fully warmed up? I started thinking of pulling the tranny out to see what's going on...Let me make sure : The throw out bearings do not spin since the fork is clipped on it right!? As far as clutch set, it all spins when engine rotates , how about pilot bearing ??? Hmmmm.......noise is coming from that area and when I go under the car I hear twice as loud is it's heard in this video...

Keep opinions and comments coming please....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jarretthise
hows your oil pressure?
Oilp presure is very good. As far as lifters, I did not reuse the same lifters, I used a newer ones that didn't have any problem.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Found out the lifter on cylinder #8 was bad, it obviously got stock in it's bore for some reason and it caused the cam's lube on that cylider get worn as well, what could have caused that?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Then its the perfect time to cam her...
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have that other block send it to the machine shop and start a 383 build because if you wiped a cam lobe all that metal circulating through the engine has certainly trashed all of your bearings and may have destroyed your crank to, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I speak from expirence. It's happened to me before years ago on a solid roller motor, lifter wheel needle bearings failed and wiped a cam lobe and the resulting trash destroyed my forged crank and the cylinder walls of the block.

Quick Reply: Internal engine Noise-Video in. What is this?