LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i have blow by :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have blow by :(

hi my friend said i might have blow by? whats that can anyone explain it to me a little bit and is it bad im scared lol
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

It means that the Compression Gases are getting by your Rings..

Since he told you that ask him what it is and see what he tells you..then post it up there so we can check to see that he's right with his description.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Teching In

thats when pressure in the cylinder passes the ringlands causing perssure to pass throght the cylinder into the bottomend an the pressure goes to the heads. you should do a compression test on ur motor that should tell you were the problem is. hope it helps
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

A little blow by isn't the end of the world...tends to happen with age/wear, but excessive like anything will cause issues. Also, if the motor is new and you have it, it usually indicates a problem with rings during the build or something going wrong during "break in" and the rings didn't seal against the piston walls correctly. If you can get a leak down tester, that will be your best bet to verify any concerns you may have. It puts pressure to the cylinders so you can read how much is lost and from where (through the intake, exhaust, or case).
Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Divineal
hi my friend said i might have blow by? whats that can anyone explain it to me a little bit and is it bad im scared lol
Are you seeing any smoke out the exhaust?

Quick Reply: i have blow by :(