LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT-1 Oil Priming - Engine Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow LT-1 Oil Priming - Engine Installed

I am just about finished with my LT1 rebuild installation. I installed the short block and the heads separately since I installed the engine from the topside. The intake is not yet installed on the car.

Now that the engine is in the car and nearly completely installed, I am a bit concerned about the amount of clearance for getting a drill and the GM priming tool (shaft) under the cowl of an 4th Gen F-body....

Anyone have any suggestions or is there plenty of clearance. I haven't actually tried to prime the car yet but thought I'd ask so I'm not surprised when I do.

Last edited by Jazz-LT1; 09-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull coil wire and injector fuse and let it crank untill the pressure comes up. If you did everything correct (like soaking the lifters, PRs) It should have full psi within a sec or 2.
No fuel and no spark = No probs.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything has plenty of assembly lube, the lifters were soaked, etc., but the engine has also been sitting in the engine bay for a few weeks now since then. I did pack the oil pump with grease which should help it to prime. I'd much rather pre-oil / prime the engine if that's still possible.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hotrod is right just pull the coil wire and let it register on the oil presure gauger then let her rip
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

If you have plenty of oil and assy. lube on bearings/journals/valve tips/rockers you should have no problem with starting it. If you want to prime it then rent a right angle drill and set it to the highest speed. Depending on the speed of the drill and your clearances it may take several minutes for you to see traces of oil coming through the pushrods.

Quick Reply: LT-1 Oil Priming - Engine Installed