LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 wont start but backfires

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 wont start but backfires

i have 1995 pontiac trans am with a 355,well i recently had my motor rebuilt and i put it back in and hooked everything backu.went to start and it just backfired and didnt star.well i looked at some forums on here and all seemed to be leaning toward it being having the opti on.so i pulled it off and sure enough we did.so i put that back on correctly and then realized i had 2 cut injector wires so i also replaced those.and went back to start again and now the backfie has gotten a little less worse.but it backfires everytime you hold the throttle down and it just randomly pops and its smoking out of the heads.if anyone can help please do
Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

did you check the firing order and coil?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95redt/a
i have 1995 pontiac trans am with a 355,well i recently had my motor rebuilt and i put it back in and hooked everything backu.went to start and it just backfired and didnt star.well i looked at some forums on here and all seemed to be leaning toward it being having the opti on.so i pulled it off and sure enough we did.so i put that back on correctly and then realized i had 2 cut injector wires so i also replaced those.and went back to start again and now the backfie has gotten a little less worse.but it backfires everytime you hold the throttle down and it just randomly pops and its smoking out of the heads.if anyone can help please do
sounds like ignition timing. pull the no 1 plug and put your finger in the spark plug hole. have someone bump the starter until it tries to blow your thumb out of the hole. when it does that set the distributor so the rotor button is pointing directly at the terminal to which the plug wire for the no 1 wire is attatched. Then check your firing order and reinstall the plug. this should be close enough to get it started.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Default how to check coil

Originally Posted by weaklt1
did you check the firing order and coil?
how do you check the coil?and im gonna check firing order saturday.and does it matter how the opti is put on.i mean i checked and i put it on right but does the motor have to be at top dead center or anything.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how to check your coil

- pull your coil wire off of the top of the opti and leave the other end attqached to your coil and then put a spark plug on the end that is removed and then lay the plug on a ground (header/ anything close that can be used as a ground) then crank it and see if the spark is consistant or irradic.. of course there will be some kind of spark because your car does still run

i honestly dont think this is a coil problem

sounds like a timing issue or firing order ussue
Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a timing issue whether it be valvetrain or ignition idk.

was the cam installed properlly with the dot-to-dot method? is the valve lash correct? are all the plug wires on the opti correct? is the opti installed correctly?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plug wires are on wrong. 5 and 7 are easy to get wrong.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jarretthise
how to check your coil

- pull your coil wire off of the top of the opti and leave the other end attqached to your coil and then put a spark plug on the end that is removed and then lay the plug on a ground (header/ anything close that can be used as a ground) then crank it and see if the spark is consistant or irradic.. of course there will be some kind of spark because your car does still run

i honestly dont think this is a coil problem

sounds like a timing issue or firing order ussue
well i think it might be the valve lash because on my motor their was no key to put the hub balancer on a certain way and the guy at the machine shop said it would be alright.but im confused about doing the valve lash without knowing top dead center.we tried one method on the internet and it said to adjust them when exhaust was open tighten the intake and do it any cylinder at a time and to tighten them a 1/2 turn.does that sound correct.this is my first lt1 motor and me and my dad are not sure how to work on it with all the electrical timing and everything
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by myltwon
sounds like a timing issue whether it be valvetrain or ignition idk.

was the cam installed properlly with the dot-to-dot method? is the valve lash correct? are all the plug wires on the opti correct? is the opti installed correctly?
the opti was on incorrectly but we fixed that after looking up the correct way to install.and im not sur eabout the cam the guys at the machine shop put the cam and timing chain on,and we are not certain how to do the valve lash we looked for hours on the internet and tried the one that sounded best but their is no key on the hub to mark top dead center

Quick Reply: lt1 wont start but backfires