LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems

I have a 1996 Z28 with a T56. The clutch slips intermittently (at first intermittent, more consistently now) in fifth and sixth (ovedrive) gears. It never happens in 1-4 (not yet at least). If I shift into fifth and give it a lot of gas, it shoots straight up like it's slipping. Same thing in sixth. Sometimes, if I shift into a different gear and then back into the previous one, it will not slip at all. Lately though it is harder to make it do that. If I give it a little bit of gas (like a tap) it will not slip.

I thought at first maybe the hydraulics needed to be flushed and changed and bled or just bled, but not sure now, so I am asking the experts here! I just took a cardboard box and put it under my clutch cylinders to see if anything leaks overnight.

I'm just afraid that I might need to spend 500 for a damn clutch, or even worse, get the transmission replaced / rebuilt. Though I am kind of hoping it goes up so I can get a Level 2 from Tick
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

sounds to me like you just need a new clutch
Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Also forgot to add in that it doesn't burn or anything, no smells or anything.

That's what I thought, I just never had a car with a clutch that was slipping and I wasn't sure about the symptoms. I am just curious as to why the overdrive gears are the only ones it will slip in now, and why it takes longer for it to slip in the lower gears. Guessing something to do with input / output speeds? Enlighten me please
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Sounds like mine when the stocker was starting to go. took it apart and the disc was past the rivets and the flywheel and PP was glazed.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea sounds like the clutch.

Quick Reply: clutch problems