LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about oil pump and lifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about oil pump and lifters

Ok I am going to look at a LT1 Formula. Here is what is wrong with it according to the owner:
"The oil pump went out and caused it to drop a couple lifters but ive replaced the oil pump just not the lifters. The car starts and runs."

I am not all that familiar with motors. Does the above seem plausable. If so I already ran a search about lifters and that LS7 lifters are basically the price as stock lifters but alot better. So that would probably be my choice. When going to look at the car is there any noises or anything I should be looking for to make sure it is nothing more than the lifters ?

Next question: I ran a search looking for a step by step on how to change the lifters. Couldn't find one.
Is it a one man job ?
How hard is it ?

Sorry for the questions it is just I am getting a great deal on the car if it is just the lifters and I could do the work myself.

Edit: Car is a 1994 formula A4 with 110,000 if that makes a difference.

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 10-18-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dunno about buying that car after " dropping a couple lifters " I would guess losing the oil pump would cause more damage, why did the pump go out. Were the gears worn of the drive gear, pump shaft broke, etc

changing the lifter is pretty easy:
1 soak lifters in motor oil over night
2 pull the intake manifold and pushrods
3 remove spider and dog bones
4 remove lifters
5 replace lifters
6 reassemble

Last edited by 1redta; 10-18-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Forgot the pushrods!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

It is very unlikely that it only damaged the lifters if it was in fact the oil pump that went, chances are the engine has bearing damage. The easiest way to check that is to let the car get up to temp (drive for 30+ mins) and check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. This however is not fool proof, he could have put thicker oil in it to cover up the low pressure. Also listen for knocks or any odd noise from the engine after its hot.

If it was the pump that went out I'd walk away unless you get it cheap enough you can drop another engine in it and still be on budget.

LS7 lifters are stock replacements now, if you go to the dealer and ask for LT1 replacement lifters you get LS7's.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say only buy it if the price reflects a blown motor and you are OK with it being shot.

An oilpump does not generally "go out" and if it does a LOT more is hurt than lifters.

If you find his highly unlikely story to be true then it is a freak case of luck.

Like I said though, assume the engine is blown, if you are OK with that and the price reflects that go for it.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

playing dumb is part of the sellers game. everything is always a cheap and easy fix according to them. if you plan to buy the car please do so with the expectation that the motor is completely worthless and that you will be towing it home to drop in a new one.

Quick Reply: Question about oil pump and lifters