LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 intake porting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 intake porting?

I currently tore my engine apart (again) and am getting those urges to just do something that is cheap. Recently i purchased a porting kit from my local MAC tools guy and decided i wanted to give porting and polishing my intake a shot. So the question i really have is where to start and what am i looking for?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
I currently tore my engine apart (again) and am getting those urges to just do something that is cheap. Recently i purchased a porting kit from my local MAC tools guy and decided i wanted to give porting and polishing my intake a shot. So the question i really have is where to start and what am i looking for?
Honestly, if you have stock heads that are not ported you are wasting your time. There is really not much you can do to the LT1 intake to make it flow better except for opening up the tb holes for a 58mm tb if you have one. Other then that anything you do like port matching or smoothing is not really gonna yield any results on a stock flowing heads motor. If you want some bang for your buck send your heads and intake to Lloyd and have him work his magic.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

My heads have been ported and polished already.The car is a full bolt on car awaiting a custom grind, gears, stall and nitrous.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
My heads have been ported and polished already.The car is a full bolt on car awaiting a custom grind, gears, stall and nitrous.
Ahhh, ok then. Well the stock one still flows extremely well, that's why there is really no aftermarket for a LT1 intake, except for going single plane. However, really all you can do is port match the runners, open up the TB holes for 58 mm tb (gasket match both) and smooth out the IAC/casting humps just inside the TB openings. Personnaly, I used the drum sander method with my drill to open up my TB holes as it let it wayyyy smoother and I didn't risk it being jagged or off shape. If you are really serious call up Lloyd as I know him and he'd be happy to give you some free advise on how to port it a bit and help you out. Lloyd did my cam and spent a lot of time with me helping me out even before I decided to order. Back to the flow, honestly what ever you do is not really going to help much except the TB openings, but let me know what you decide to do.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

yeah LE has been a great help with the current custom grind that i'm buying from him as we speak.I don't want to open up to a 58mm since i already had a 52mm

Quick Reply: LT1 intake porting?