ttt...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

not to insult you but did you unplug any wires while installing your CAI and forget to plug them back in?

Fuel filters are only $10 and pretty easy to replace, just have to crawl under the car and use 2 wrenches.

Also it always helps to pour a can of Seafoam in your gas tank and see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redface8
Im getting a manual gauge to check my fuel pressure under load cause I think my fuel pump took a dump. But I talked to a mechanic over the phone and he tells me its the opti?? First time i heard that one, I thought those normally crap out at higher rpms
My first thought was opti when I read this thread.

I'm on opti #5 (counting the original) on my 15yo Z28 w/ 176k miles. One of the times my opti went, I was driving on the expressway, and the engine just suddenly quit on me....RPMS went down to ZERO...coasted for about 5-10 seconds, then all of sudden it came back...scared the **** out of me...

Pulled off the highway, and it started really running like crap...sputtering...stalling out....

The four optis I've had die on me all presented slightly different symptoms...one other time, when I would stop and idle at a light or something, the engine would rev by itself...RPMs would suddenly shoot up to 2000-2500 with me sitting there with my foot on the brake waiting for the light to turn green...also with that particular opti that was going bad, it would bog down real heavy when I would get on it...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I had the same opti dying experience as mrpace ^^^ The engine would drop to low rpm and stall randomly on the highway. It got worse and worse. A good way to check the opti is get a spark tester ($10 at parts store) and plug it into a spark plug wire. Run the engine and wait for it to sputter/die and see if you still have spark when it does that. If it stops sparking before it starts to die that you know it is an ignition problem. From there you can trace the problem back to the source. Check out shbox.com for more info
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Preciate the help guys. I had an old experienced friend look at my car and play with a few things. He said all sensors look good, then he got under the car and noticed that the advanced vacuum hose (or something like that, i think its the vacuum hose from the distributer??) was hanging down.

He hooked it back up and it ran alot better but it still didnt solve the problem. Monday hes bringing some special tool to check the vacuum i guess. But we've ruled out fuel cause i checked my fuel pressure and its consistent 41 even up to the cut off. But some of the things the guy mentioned were the ecm, vacuum from the opti, and last but not least....the infamous optispark itself lol.

Any place to get a good one for a low price? Kinda strapped for cash this month which is odd cause i havent bought any gifts yet =)
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

im gonna put in my sig that my stock opti last 187k but orignally i thought weak ignition so this is possible as is anything but its hard to rub my mechanic crystal ball and guess since im probably not within hundreds of miles of the car
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

yea i highly doubt the previous owner changed it (174,XXX), but i just cant put my thumb on the problem. Thanks alot guys im just gonna break down and change the opti and if that doesnt work, bye bye lt1 =(

Quick Reply: LT1 Problem need help asap!!!!