LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Idle Issue

Hey guys,

I have a '97 with a bolt-on LT1 and 6-spd. It has shorty headers, single-cat conversion, slp cai, and a new ignition (opti, plugs, wires). It has also been mail order tuned by madz28 tune for the mods. The car runs fine when the weather is nice, but here's the problem: when its really cold (like less than 20*) it runs poor on start up, like its only on 7 cylinders. When it warms up it idles like a champ at 1k rpm. Any ideas on this problem? The car has also been averaging about 11 mpg combined, which seems exteremly low even for an lt1 with 4.10 gears.

Also, it has an issue finding idle when the car comes to a stop. This happens warm or cold, doesn't matter. What happens is when you come to a complete stop the idle will drop low, like 600 rpm and the car will almost wanna stall (this is with the clutch disengaged obviously), then it will quickly return to 1k rpm and idle fine. Does this seem like some kind of pcm issue?

If someone can give me some insight, or if anyone has had a similar issue I would appreciate input. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by mrnorm_hemicide; 12-13-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrnorm_hemicide
Hey guys,

I have a '97 with a bolt-on LT1 and 6-spd. It has shorty headers, single-cat conversion, slp cai, and a new ignition (opti, plugs, wires). It has also been mail order tuned by madz28 tune for the mods. The car runs fine when the weather is nice, but here's the problem: when its really cold (like less than 20*) it runs poor on start up, like its only on 7 cylinders. When it warms up it idles like a champ at 1k rpm. Any ideas on this problem? The car has also been averaging about 11 mpg combined, which seems exteremly low even for an lt1 with 4.10 gears.

Also, it has an issue finding idle when the car comes to a stop. This happens warm or cold, doesn't matter. What happens is when you come to a complete stop the idle will drop low, like 600 rpm and the car will almost wanna stall (this is with the clutch disengaged obviously), then it will quickly return to 1k rpm and idle fine. Does this seem like some kind of pcm issue?

If someone can give me some insight, or if anyone has had a similar issue I would appreciate input. The car doesn't appear to have an IAT on it, I'm assuming the previous owner had it tuned into the pcm and removed it, could this be a possible cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
the idle issue could be MAF or IAC related. something is very wrong with your car if you are getting 11 mpg with a 6 speed. i got better than that when i had a burnt wire in my A4. you could have a tune issue, are you running rich? throwing any codes?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

No codes, lt fuel trims are roughly -5.8 bank 1 and -0.6 bank 2. Also the ave voltage for the o2s are like .45v bank 1 and .35v bank 2. Im assuming that this means there are some random injector flow issues, because the st fuel trims bounce around at will. The maf reads a consitent 1 lb/min at idle, and the map reads 9.2 inHg at idle. So idk what the deal is, the car seems to run fine, the motor sounds healthy, so the only thing I can really think of is that the injectors need cleaning, and maybe the pcm/tune is funky. Anyone have any more input? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

What are the IAT readings at "cold start-up"? Did it do this before the tune was applied? Do you have the ability to go back to a stock flash?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Are those o2 readings while the car is at operating temp or cold start up?

What is your IAC readings on cold start and operating temp?

Does your ses light work, turn on and off?

Do you have a vacuum leak at all that you can think of?

Are your clamps tight that hold on your couplers for the c.a.i, maf, t.b that can cause a surge especially at stopping?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94Firehawk161
What are the IAT readings at "cold start-up"? Did it do this before the tune was applied? Do you have the ability to go back to a stock flash?
The IAT was reading ~31* F, when it was roughly that cold outside, at cold start up. It was reading around 70* F when fully warm. I don't know how the car ran before the tune, as I bought it tuned for the mods. However, it ran perfectly fine when I bought it this august and didn't start acting up until it got cold outside. It has always got crappy fuel mileage tho.

On another note, I started it up this morning when it was like 7* F outside, and it was hard starting and when it fired up it was running rich as hell.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Are those o2 readings while the car is at operating temp or cold start up?

What is your IAC readings on cold start and operating temp?

Does your ses light work, turn on and off?

Do you have a vacuum leak at all that you can think of?

Are your clamps tight that hold on your couplers for the c.a.i, maf, t.b that can cause a surge especially at stopping?
Those o2 readings were when the car was in closed loop, operating temp. I don't know what the IAC counts were, my diag software is generic and cant see that. My ses light does work, cause I had a light for a bad o2 a couple months ago which I replaced. I dont have any vacuum leaks that I can think of, but it sounds like there is a small exaust leak around the y-pipe somewhere, I can hear it ticking. I'm pretty sure that all the couplers on the intake are tight.

Quick Reply: LT1 Idle Issue