LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help on opti purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Firehawk161
From what I have seen, the AC Delco Opti's are currently a Chinese knockoff, the same as the cheap "Ebay" units. The manufacturer even goes as far as to cast the base plate with the GM part number in it, but you can tell it is not quite the same alloy as the factory GM part. The cap on the knockoff does have brass terminals, which may be a nice feature. But untill we see people who have put some serious mileage on these knockoffs, we just won't know for sure if they are durable!
And this is the reason I'm testing the one from chandlermotorsportsinc. I took off my GM factory opti and this one actully looks to be a lil more durable. The lil adaptor that gose to the cam in the 93's is sealed in real good so it dosn't come off like the factory one and he claims to upgraded to coper. We will just have to wait and see how far I go w/ this one. But like I said before so far so good.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtienut
No matter which Opti you use, disassemble it first and locktite the rotor screws. That's what fails consistently, even on a brand new AC opti, sometimes on the first few runs down the track on a high rpm motor.
The new genuine AC units come loctited. I still tke mine apart and use loctite red on them, but you can tell they have a strong green thread locker on them.

All of my OEM opti failures had tio do with the plastick "melted" rivets that hold the metal tang onto the rotor breaking.

Originally Posted by 94Firehawk161
From what I have seen, the AC Delco Opti's are currently a Chinese knockoff, the same as the cheap "Ebay" units. The manufacturer even goes as far as to cast the base plate with the GM part number in it, but you can tell it is not quite the same alloy as the factory GM part. The cap on the knockoff does have brass terminals, which may be a nice feature. But untill we see people who have put some serious mileage on these knockoffs, we just won't know for sure if they are durable!
I'm pretty sure that the materials are not the same quality as the origionals. BUT, they are still not the same as an EBAY copy.....
The AC optis still use a genuine Mitsubishi optical sensor (I've made sure to check each one), and the knockoff's dont.

Quick Reply: help on opti purchase