LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Opti?

Hello once again. Anyways my car has not been running right since my rebuild. Long story short got it running but it was hesitation and the exhaust was popping. I was hearing from alot about my new gm opti being bad. So I decided to take a day and pull the new one off and put the old working one back on. Anyways I took everything apart and labeled the plug wires to make sure they would all go back to the right spot. So I got it all back together and it will not start at all. The opti has been sitting since August but worked perfect when I took it off. I replaced it since it looked old and I did not know the mileage on it. So I checked all the connections and everything looked good. I also took the wire from the coil and turned the engine over it had spark. Loads of it. So is this opti shot. Tried again with different wires and coils but nothing changed. So any ideas. If not should I take my brothers opti that he just replaced because he did a water pump and his just looked like it was going to fail soon and try again?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

anybody?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
anybody?
Hard to tell from your troubleshooting....The OPTI is just a fancy distributor
IMO from what you posted its not the OPTI, ( you had a new one and replaced it with a working old one with same result) however, the old one could be bad...so could the new .... what was your troubleshooting process and how did you get to REMOVE OPTI?

Anyway do you have good spark out of the opti?

did you have good spark out of the opti prior to pulling the "old new" opti?

Since it hasn't run right since your rebuild there are lots of things to check.

How did you set your lifter preload?
Any vacuum leaks?

Mike
Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Hard to tell from your troubleshooting....The OPTI is just a fancy distributor
IMO from what you posted its not the OPTI, ( you had a new one and replaced it with a working old one with same result) however, the old one could be bad...so could the new .... what was your troubleshooting process and how did you get to REMOVE OPTI?

Anyway do you have good spark out of the opti?

did you have good spark out of the opti prior to pulling the "old new" opti?

Since it hasn't run right since your rebuild there are lots of things to check.

How did you set your lifter preload?
Any vacuum leaks?

Mike
Well to answer your questions the new opti was working put I was having some really bad hesitation. After months of checking just about everything I a lot of people started thinking my new optispark was bad. I took the old opti off when I was changing cams. The new one was installed by myself and I took it off by taking everything off the front of the engine. I made sure to not to get them wet. Every since the old one was put back on it has not fired. It has spark since I can see it ark to my cold air intake. However the car does not fire. You can hear it trying but it does not. It does not matter however since I am taking my bros opti that he just replaced as he was doing a water pump last week. It looks like its his stock 96k on but it was working. If the hesitation goes away in my car then we know it was the opti. As for lash I have done them about 15-20 times. They have been done by running method and non running. Even had my brother in law do them and he was stumped when his non running method did not work. It did on his lt1. I have even backed the rockers off enough that they we way to loose and I would still get hesitation and popping. I have checked for vacuum leaks and have not found any.

Quick Reply: Bad Opti?