LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Emission LT Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission LT Options

After thinking about it, I am taking a pass on the latest batch of LPP race headers. I have had trouble passing inspection in the past, so I want to avoid that this time if possible. I know LTs will move the cats, so I can be rejected just on that. But I am willing to take that risk. I will also go with an emissions friendly cam.

I have searched tonight and the current LT1 options seem very limited. I am looking for LTs with AIR/EGR and a Y pipe with cats.

I found:
  • Pacesetter coated and uncoated for cheap
  • Kooks for big $$
  • The Ebay stainless Air/EGR source has dried up

The only LT Y pipe cat combo I see is the Kooks specific ones.

Any other header ideas? Catted Ys?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't suggest another one, but I do have Kooks emissions LTs. I can also tell you that if you can afford them, I highly recommend them. The fit and quality is excellent, and all the emissions equipment hooks up good.

I also have their catted y-pipe, and it tucks up well, a little low on the driver side but good nonetheless. I have passed CA smog with these, even with my 222/230 112 LSA cam (barely passed). They are illegal here, but I know a shop that will overlook them as long as all the emissions equipment is still hooked up.

I also had no problems with the EGR, which seems to be common with a LT install due to the loss of backpressure.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I can't suggest another one, but I do have Kooks emissions LTs. I can also tell you that if you can afford them, I highly recommend them. The fit and quality is excellent, and all the emissions equipment hooks up good.
Yea, the Kooks setup seems like a high quality piece. But $1.5K for the full setup is too rich for me. I guess my only option is the coated Pacesetters and build my own catted Y. Since my TA never sees the rain maybe rust will not be a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fraxum- You can Jet Hot long tubes i think they come with the emissions provisions and you can buy a hooker y and weld cats in to it as close to the collectors as possible. I too an interested to see if people have had luck with it because I'm thinking about the same thing if not then it'll be mids. IIRC flp had headers with emissions provisions but im not to sure about that though.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1 Z/28
Fraxum- You can Jet Hot long tubes i think they come with the emissions provisions and you can buy a hooker y and weld cats in to it as close to the collectors as possible. I too an interested to see if people have had luck with it because I'm thinking about the same thing if not then it'll be mids. IIRC flp had headers with emissions provisions but im not to sure about that though.
Ah I see the Jet Hots now. Any reason not to go with the Jet Hot Y? Also once you buy the Hooker or Jet Hot y and the cats you get close to $500. Why not just go with the Kooks Y Cat setup? Are all the Ys interchangeable?

So the Jet Hots are better built than the PaceSetters?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fraxum
Ah I see the Jet Hots now. Any reason not to go with the Jet Hot Y? Also once you buy the Hooker or Jet Hot y and the cats you get close to $500. Why not just go with the Kooks Y Cat setup? Are all the Ys interchangeable?

So the Jet Hots are better built than the PaceSetters?
well i dont have any experience personally with header installs or anything im still running manifolds, but yea the hooker y pipe with separate cats welded in will probly cost $500 but the jet hots are like 4-500 dollars where as the kooks are 800+ but there stainless. as far as pacesetters vs jet hot im not sure i guess the style of the headers like IIRC they look different maybe one is equal length and the other is a little different? What do you mean by all Y's?