LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

front seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front seal

Looks like i have an oil leak coming from the front seal. I just wanted to ask around and see how hard it is to change and see if i need any special tools
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOOLIN Z28
Looks like i have an oil leak coming from the front seal. I just wanted to ask around and see how hard it is to change and see if i need any special tools
It will be quite a pain to fix. You need to remove the water pump, optispark, cooling fans, AIR pump, crank hub and pulley. As far as special tools, you'll need a 3-toe puller and a hub puller to remove the crank hub and pulley.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Have fun..it'll take ya a few hours.

Pull the Fans out and put the Radiator as far forward it can go..that will help you get the front accessories off.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Theres actually 3 seals on the front. waterpump seal, opti seal, crank seal.

Only special tool will be a puller for the hub
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Launching!

does anyone know how many hours this repair calls for?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOOLIN Z28
does anyone know how many hours this repair calls for?
As "Badazz" said, there are 3 seals on the front cover. One for the water pump drive, one for thr Optispark, and one for the crank pulley. Which one is leaking?

If it's the crank pulley, that can be done by just removing the pulley and hub, and using a seal removing tool. (it's a "hook and pry" kind of tool) If that's your leak, you won't have to remove too much stuff and the time spent is minimal. If it's one of the other seals, A) plan on replacing ALL of them while you have the front cover off the engine; and B) prepare for an interesting experience, as you're going to have to remove a fair amount of parts in order to get to the front cover.....

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

"Badazz" and I appear to be assuming that your car has an LT1 engine, since you're posting in the LT1-LT4 section. Your avatar, however, shows an LS1 car. What year is your car?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not that bad. You just need a good afternoon, stay focused and you can have it off in a couple hours. The water pump shaft seal is the one that is a pain to put on because it is easy to rip while putting over the shaft extension. (the part that mates with the pump gear on back of pump) Do a search on replacing the water pump shaft seal, so you know what to do. Some have used a sharpie pen to stretch the seal. There is also a specific socket size you can use to aid in pushing the shaft extension through.

For the most part the rest all of the seals have a small area next to them on the timing cover to get a tool in. ( if i remember right) I would get a seal puller from auto parts, to avoid damaging the timing cover sealing surface. You dont want to scratch up the inside lip of the cover when pulling the seals.

Use a correct size socket with hammer to reinstall seals, and your done.

OBTW your going ot need to pull hub off to get the lower seal, so do a search for hub pulling.

Quick Reply: front seal