LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a clutch

Despite the fact that my Ram clutch has less than 3k miles on it, I apparently need a new one. My engine is in the process of being replaced and the shop owner called me to tell me it looks like ****. I don't know if it's because it's because the disc is made out of a material he's not familiar with or if it's genuinely shot. What would cause a disc to wear out that fast? I'm not dumping the clutch off the line, I don't ride it when I drive, I don't beat on the car, wtf could cause a clutch disc to wear out that fast? He's steering me towards a Rhino clutch, but I've never heard of them. Anyone else have any experience with them? What else should I look into? I want something that can support some power, should I ever decide to modify it. Apparently, I either bought a defective clutch from Ram or something else is contributing to the problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's steering me towards a Rhino clutch, but I've never heard of them.
Sounds like he is trying to steer you towards some kind of crappy stock replacement clutch. the parts store i used to work at sold one called Rhino Pak or something like that. I would go look at it yourself.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

how much power you making or wanting to make? my stock clutch lasted 55K miles (and 15 years) before it started slipping. I only have about 320ish RWHP and I went with a SPEC stage 2. It is good for around 600 lb/ft. With the billet steel SPEC flywheel you are looking at about $850 (500 or the clutch, 350 for the flywheel). It drives great. I am happy with it. If i finally get the funds to put a small blowr on the car the clutch will be fine. Stage 1 SPECS are about 80 bucks cheaper and still overkill for a mild/stock motor.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
Sounds like he is trying to steer you towards some kind of crappy stock replacement clutch. the parts store i used to work at sold one called Rhino Pak or something like that. I would go look at it yourself.
I think that's what he said. It's supposedly a lot stronger than stock. I'm not sure how much power I want to make as I don't have funding to really give an accurate estimate. Let's say 400- 450, figuring a head and cam package when I get the money, plus a small shot of nitrous oxide. I've heard some nightmare stories about Spec though, so I'm weary of using them.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

http://www.amsautomotive.com/sr_kits.php

That's what he's recommending. I don't know if a local vendor sells Spec clutches and time is of the essence.

*EDIT*
No local guys sell the Spec and I need something by Monday. I took a look at my Ram to see what he was talking about and it seems to be thicker on one side than on the other. I seem to remember it coming like that though. I can't really remember. Like I said, it's only seen 3k miles of babied service. I can't imagine it needs to be replaced already.

While everything is a apart, should I swap to an electric waterpump? It's going to be a daily driver, but I'd like it to be as powerful as possible with just bolt ons. I had my waterpump and opti replaced, but the opti was already messed up and my waterpump looks like ****.

Last edited by Storms of War; 02-06-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Bump, but only cause I gotta make moves before 6 tonight.

I can get a CSR electric water pump from a local shop, but are they worth it? Some say that Meziere is the only electric pump worth buying, others are telling me to stick with the stock pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because my guy needs it for tomorrow morning. My stock pump, like I said, already looks like hell somehow after running for less than 3k miles. Rather than going through that ordeal all over again, I want to change it out now.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I have a csr waterpump and i dont have any problems. As far as the clutch goes i had a ram power grip hd on a bolt on car and it worked fine and when i put the new motor in it didnt last 1 dyno pull it only had 3000 miles on it. I went with a spec stage 4 and its holding up great. For most people i would say the spec stage 3+ its a lot more forgiving on the street
Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Thank you
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Where are you located?I am in Michigan,i have a spec 3 clutch and i managed to wear it out only 1000 miles on it.There is a place by me called CLUTCH MASTERS,They reuilt mine better than new for 275.00..
Old 02-07-2010, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

im looking at clutches to im guessing im going to be 380-400hp plus juice this is what i found out so far all pressure plates are all made by valeo and all company change things here and there and use there clutches autzone has clutch and pressure plate kits for 160 for z28 lt1 so i was thinking maybe getting a corvette clutch and pressure plate from autozone for 249 prices are found at autzone.com they even have flywheels for 54$ if a stock gm clutch can handle low 13s and get its a## beat daily im guessing a autozone replacement should be ok i was debating on going this route or 400-600 at summit
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

^A stock clutch can not handle that power. Yes the pressure plate is the same but the disk are a lot different. Try putting a stock replacement clutch on a 400 motor its gunna go right away and them youll just have to spend the money on a better one which you should have done in the first place. Do it right the first time
Old 02-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Launching!

rhino pac is good aftermarket stock replacement...but if you making big hp it won't hold.

its what i put in my car but i only have intake/exhaust
Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

I cant say much the idiot that had the car before me had a ZOOM clutch in the car and i tell you what i have full bolt-on car and that thing takes a beating and will hold but will upgrade when new motor goes in.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

I bought a clutch from Competition Clutch Company for 300.00 shipped. It actually has really good street manners and it will hold some power. Check out the link.http://www.competitionclutch.com/pro...dex.php?id=310 I have the 2600 series. You will have to call them to get an exact part number but, I got some money off by mentioning I was a member of LS1Tech and that I saw there advertising on the site. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I need a clutch