LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about mail order tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about mail order tuning

I am going to be getting a tune from madtuner.com and was wondering a few things.

First off i have a performabuilt level 2 trans with a 3800 stall,headers,tsp rumbler exhaust.

what should i set my rev limiter at?
what should i set my shift points at?

sorry if those are stupid questions but i dont know anything about tuning.

thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

your engine dictates what rev and shift points depending on what you have done to your bottom end and when your head/cam combo stops making power. In your position I would leave those options as tuner's choice, depending on the combo Ion has seen at least a hundred if not exactly the same, quite similar and he will know how to balance the good with the bad to optimize performance without sacrificing reliability
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Launching!

PCMFORLESS.com i heard some good thing about them
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mad I think has the tuner they send you and you upload thier tune and then you can data log the car so they can look at it and tell you if anything is wrong or if they need to change the tune they just email it to you, you load it in the tuner and upload to car. I am doing this right now with trifecta. He sent me a hp PDA with GT tuner loaded on it and I just plug it in, load the tune, unplug 2 min later and then put the tuner in data log mode, plug it back in and drive around for a bit with the tuner logging the car the whole time. I then down load the log file, email it to the tuner and he reviews it. Hell he told me I had a slight mis at idle and to check the plug and wires and also to see if there was an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Looked at the exhaust and the plugs and hello, there was one plug that was a 1/4 turn from tight that was causeing a problem I did not even know I had. He is letting me keep the tuner for about a week or 2 untill I get the car right. cost me $210 and that included shipping both ways. So far he has not changed a thing in the tune but now that I have everything tight, I am data logging the car again for another two days and then shipping it back to them. Easy as can be and if it is wrong it can be fixed quick.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TransAm_ToM
PCMFORLESS.com i heard some good thing about them

You "heard" some good things about them??? LMAO

Here's my opinion, mail order tuning is COMPLETE ripoff in general and if I were going to do it, pcm4less is the LAST place I would send it to.

My tune from them was garbage...

I like Ion too but there's just no substitute for live tuning.

Solomon at lt1pcmtuning .com is the only person I would pay a dime to dyno tune, because he will actually work with you several times to make sure the car is as close as it can be without him being there.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
You "heard" some good things about them??? LMAO

Here's my opinion, mail order tuning is COMPLETE ripoff in general and if I were going to do it, pcm4less is the LAST place I would send it to.

My tune from them was garbage...

I like Ion too but there's just no substitute for live tuning.

Solomon at lt1pcmtuning .com is the only person I would pay a dime to dyno tune, because he will actually work with you several times to make sure the car is as close as it can be without him being there.

Who you go with is your personal choice but same sorta thing. have them send you a tuner that can data log, and remote retune by e-mail files or what not. This way you can make sure it is done right.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing I use a mail order tune for is to get me to the dyno and run it for a little bit to make sure nothing fails on the dyno. 150 for a mail order can save a TON of money if the alternative is troubleshooting on the dyno while you're on the clock so to speak

Quick Reply: Question about mail order tuning