LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Worlds worst project from hell!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worlds worst project from hell!!

So after a three day project turned into a week long ordeal from hell.. it is now dubbed the worlds worst project... First the motor mounts were the biggest PITA... everything about them was a PITA.. i really dont know where to start haha... then the LPP header install... They fit so nice and so tight... look amazing... had to remove the oil filter to get it to slide on in.. once in and bolted up looked amazing... then when i went to put the oil filter back on... there was no room for a filter unless they made one that was less than an inch long... the headers ran so close to the filter it cut into the space it.. so we in order to make it work... delete my oil cooler... Im going to pick up the lines today to reroute the coolant tubing so that wont be an issue.. then trying to bolt the tranny back up.. its not wanting to go back in.. i dont know if it just not aligned properly or what... it was 430am when we decided to call it quits for the morning lol.. i had class at 9 and work at 12 so i figured i needed to get cleaned up a bit since i looked like i came out of a collapsed mine... why is this so much harder than anything expected.. and nobody has seemed to have the same issues as my car?.. I read the how to on everything i could have done it blindfolded but things just seem to not want to fit right or come off... I think the car just wanted to stay stock till the day it died.. its putting up a huge fight... sorry for the rant... Just didnt expect to be missing a week worth of sleep over a simple install as: motor mounts, LONG tubes, new clutch, and havent even started on the sfc's
Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Oh if the sfc is a problem then there is deff something wrong LOL
Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil cooler needs to be deleted with the LPPs. This was established long ago.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

haha.. no they are still in the box... im assuming with all the bad luck from the other installs when we weld the sfc up.. they will turn to rubber and be useless... biggest project ever on the car.. and it has not gone very well... everything came off fine.. but going on is a different story... lots of beer has been shed over this car... hopefully tonite.. it will be woke up with open headers
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The oil cooler needs to be deleted with the LPPs. This was established long ago.
Yup. Its junk anyway and more problems than its worth. Gotta use OEM size oil filters.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Over time, you'll learn that ANY project, no matter what, costs more than planned and will require at least 3 trips to either the parts store or the hardware store!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Over time, you'll learn that ANY project, no matter what, costs more than planned and will require at least 3 trips to either the parts store or the hardware store!
3 ?!?!?!?! lol more like 15 to 20 lol J/k only when you go and do an engine build do start to know the parts store guys by name and shift. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

ive read many many threads about long tube installs just so i knew what i was getting into... and ive read alot about LPP's.. i dont recall seeing that it needed to be removed... I read and researched so much.. that i prolly could have installed it blindfolded lol... I just never read that the oilcooler needed to be removed... if it isnt much of a hassel...could you post the link up about it... cause i thought i read everything about them... thanks guys..
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28'MachThis'
ive read many many threads about long tube installs just so i knew what i was getting into... and ive read alot about LPP's.. i dont recall seeing that it needed to be removed... I read and researched so much.. that i prolly could have installed it blindfolded lol... I just never read that the oilcooler needed to be removed... if it isnt much of a hassel...could you post the link up about it... cause i thought i read everything about them... thanks guys..
Removing the cooler is a piece of cake. Just remove it (few bolts) and all subsequent cooling lines. You can either run a line from the bottom driver side water pump to the radiator (bottom driver side) or delete the line entirely. Won't matter either way.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

how do i delete the entire set up completly?..
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28'MachThis'
how do i delete the entire set up completly?..
Pretty sure I just told you how...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

ok so the oil cooler is off the car... i know how to take it off.. that took a few mins... so now im left with a whole in the radiator.. and a hole somewhere else.. where ever the other tube ran to the water pump maybe? i wasnt paying attention.. so can i just buy caps to cap the system off completely.. or should u just run a tube from both of those spots and connect them.. Sorry if i am taking your posts as being a lil on the dick side... im a nube.. ive tryed searching... and im not having much luck with trying in 'oil cooler delete' and finding anything thats helpful.. thanks guys..
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

soooo... motor is all hooked up.. drivetrain is all hooked up besides the tq arm... went to turn the car on to listen to the open headers... turned the key on to let the fuel pump run for a second. went to turn the car over!!!... AND!!!... dead.... ..the dash lights all came on.. the fuel pump worked... went to turn the car over and everything died kinda like i blew a fuse... some friends were saying it was a ground or my starter... what do you guys thing.. the battery is not dead..
Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

you hook the starter back up after the header install?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

starter is hooked up.. we are thinking its a bad ground or i missed a ground.. im going to triple check the starter... im going back under tonite after work to finish... or try to.. this project is going on day 8.. i think it should have only taken 3 maybe 4 days.. My car just does not want to go together with out the worlds biggest fight... lol..
Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

She is alive and well.. she will be coming off the jack stands tonite at 7.. and i had a loose starter wire... and my positive battery screw or whatever it is called was stripped pretty bad causing my car to not want to pull any juice...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

that will do it
Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

the car is off the jackstands and it started and drove out of the garage!!.. and guess what?!!.. no oil pressure!!!... WTF!!! AWESOME!!!.. JUST GREAT!!!..... but thats ok... somehow the oil pressure sensor broke while either header install, egr block off, or oil cooler delete.. anyhow.. i have to wait till tomorrow to run to napa to get a sensor that will thread in.. the duracrap from autozone wont thread in.. and now i need to find an exhaust shop that will work on my car w/o a cat... ..
Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

It wont thread in cause you have the wrong one i bet, if yours is under the car you need the one with the 1/4 in thread. If its on top its the 1/8 in thread
Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

94 had both, they changed from the bottom to the top in middle of the year

Quick Reply: Worlds worst project from hell!!