LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help Please, grant steering install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please, grant steering install

Hey Guys,

Im looking for some help doing a grant swap on my 97 Z28, I have been looking for a step by step install guide but have so far been unable to find one.

I do have the 3196 install kit, I have have read that you need a steering wheel puller to do the job, but so far I have been able to the remove the steering without one.

However I do have this little metal disk stuck on the column in front of the yellow plastic part which is preventing me from installing the metal block that goes under the black metal bell, and after staring at it for a minute Im starting to think this is what I needed the puller for.

Iv'e included some pics so you can see what I am talking about and where I'm at.

If you guys have done this before or know a link where I can find a step by step install guide I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know man, but I just had to comment on how completely, ungodly, flamingly hideous that interior and ******* shift **** is.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for being a completely, ungodly, flamingly hideously useless ****
Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're welcome
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you one of the camaro Boyz, by chance?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

No, like most people on this site, the car I have is a work in progress, I understand yellow and tan go together like **** but I haven't got around to changing to black. With a dark green car my accent color choices are limited. and the leather piece came off the shift **** so its gray underneath and I haven't had money to replace it, not that its any of your business.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
I dont know man, but I just had to comment on how completely, ungodly, flamingly hideous that interior and ******* shift **** is.

my car came like that and the first thing i did was buy all new interior pieces. stock interior FTW!!!! btw i lol so hard to this gregbob
Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

now spit fire i do beleive you have to pull that metal peice off to install the grant install kit. the metal peice on the column
Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

To get that off you have to use a tool that is like a puller but instead of pulling, it will press that metal piece down and you have to remove that little ring in there. Once the ring is off that metal piece will come right off.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Since no-one else wants to be useful...let me see if I can point you in the right direction.

What you're seeing in there is the airbag clock-spring. To remove it, first you need the correct tool, which is NOT a steering wheel puller. You need a steering wheel Lock Plate remover. You should be able to pick one up at any local parts store for pretty cheap. Hell most around my area will rent you one for free, just pay a deposit. What this tool does is compress that little metal plate in the middle so you can release the snap ring on the shaft. Once the snap ring is released, the clock spring will come right out of there.

You wont need it anymore seeing as you won't have an airbag, so no need to be gentle with it. Besides, it's gotta go to make room for the adapter anyway. Once you get it out of the way, the install will be pretty straighforward.

Last edited by Colin91Z; 03-20-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much for the info, I probably would have tried a wheel puller and broke something, so thanks again for saving me the headache
Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Since no-one else wants to be useful...let me see if I can point you in the right direction.

What you're seeing in there is the airbag clock-spring. To remove it, first you need the correct tool, which is NOT a steering wheel puller. You need a steering wheel Lock Plate remover. You should be able to pick one up at any local parts store for pretty cheap. Hell most around my area will rent you one for free, just pay a deposit. What this tool does is compress that little metal plate in the middle so you can release the snap ring on the shaft. Once the snap ring is released, the clock spring will come right out of there.

You wont need it anymore seeing as you won't have an airbag, so no need to be gentle with it. Besides, it's gotta go to make room for the adapter anyway. Once you get it out of the way, the install will be pretty straighforward.
He is right on this
Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

1st pic shows the tool components. The threaded shaft has female threads inside the fat end. Screw that down onto the center steering shaft, then slip the yoke over that, tighten the nut. It pushes the plate down the steering shaft like the man said, and you can remove the snap ring and then it all comes off. Just for extra caution, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery any time you're touching any airbag components. Looks like you're already past any threat from the one in the wheel, so glad you got it off safely...
Attached Thumbnails Help Please, grant steering install-1.jpg   Help Please, grant steering install-2.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gregrob

omg thats funny ****.....i think i peed a little
Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Why? why is that funny? It's not funny, it's frustrating. It's frustrating when your looking for help and all you get is some dipshit troll insulting your car.

How would you like it if you were asking how to best weld up some sub-frame connectors and the first reply you get is some asshat with "Jeezus holy christ the underside of your car looks like a ball of pitted ***!"

I
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

if you dont know what funny means i dont think it is my place to inform you...troll or not this is a car site devoted to helping others and some times it is in the taste category....he just told u what 9 out of 10 will think....plus he beat me to it...and was hilarious in doing so,quit crying you got your info...now go buy a honda if you want to gay it up and people to tell you how cool it looks...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

I can't see the pics but it's funny as hell reading you all bitch back n forth.. maybe I'm seeing the same entertainment that some of you get out of me an SS RRR..

I have never removed a Steering wheel..I'll help though..
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk6speed
if you dont know what funny means i dont think it is my place to inform you...troll or not this is a car site devoted to helping others and some times it is in the taste category....he just told u what 9 out of 10 will think....plus he beat me to it...and was hilarious in doing so,quit crying you got your info...now go buy a honda if you want to gay it up and people to tell you how cool it looks...

And what exactly is "gay" about it since your apparently the very pariah of taste and tact when it come to car mods? Because it's yellow? That's a bit weak don't you think? I happen to think the green and yellow go together well. And I know I'm not the only one with a painted interior on this site, Ive seen the pics, is it a cool air brushed design? no. But it's what I can do myself, If I had the money I would love to get the pieces hydro-coated in carbon fiber or something like it but I don't atm.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

the underside of my car looks like dogshit.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

The inside of my Engine is covered in Oil..

Quick Reply: Help Please, grant steering install