LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What are these springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default What are these springs?

And would they be too stiff for stock pushrods/rockers/lifters/cam off a 110k mile motor at 6000rpm? Bought the heads already ported and assembled with 2.02/1.56 valves and these springs, dont wanna spend the extra $$ on new valvetrain.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's absolutely no way to tell from that picture. My educated guess would be the Crane 99893s (they are dual coil). You could pull one of them off and using a spring compressor determine its coil bind height, spring pressures, and OD/ID and determine that way.

What about the guy you bought them off of...wouldn't he know?

You're putting ported heads on a stock cammed motor? Why not at least upgrade to 1.6 rockers?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Im doing impala head gaskets too, bring compression around 11:1. Ill do the valvetrain in time if this motor lasts, just wanna see what kind of gain each piece gives me. The guy I got the heads from got them already assembled off of an engine someone sold him, didnt know exactly what the parts were on the heads.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
There's absolutely no way to tell from that picture. My educated guess would be the Crane 99893s (they are dual coil). You could pull one of them off and using a spring compressor determine its coil bind height, spring pressures, and OD/ID and determine that way.

What about the guy you bought them off of...wouldn't he know?

You're putting ported heads on a stock cammed motor? Why not at least upgrade to 1.6 rockers?
Like stated above they appear to be a Crane dual spring. They look alot like my old Crane 10308-1's but we cannot tell just by looking at them so go ahead and do what RamAir95TA said to do.

Joe, did you have Bryan tune the car yet? Gonna be at the track at all this weekend? I'm thinking about going somewhere since the weather is so nice.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Like stated above they appear to be a Crane dual spring. They look alot like my old Crane 10308-1's but we cannot tell just by looking at them so go ahead and do what RamAir95TA said to do.

Joe, did you have Bryan tune the car yet? Gonna be at the track at all this weekend? I'm thinking about going somewhere since the weather is so nice.
Nope - Bryan hasn't been able to come down yet. He is scheduling a dyno day soon, hopefully before it gets too warm. At this point, it doesn't do me any good to go race until I get the tuning and the 6-point in so I don't keep getting haggled by track officials.

So Bryan, hurry the hell up!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Is there any chance the stiffer springs (even tho I dont know what they are, they are stiffer than stock) will cause a bent pushrod or collapse a lifter or be too much for stock stamped steel rockers?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Is there any chance the stiffer springs (even tho I dont know what they are, they are stiffer than stock) will cause a bent pushrod or collapse a lifter or be too much for stock stamped steel rockers?
No, although now is the perfect time to upgrade to 1.6s.