LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hard starting

At the end of last season I had a fuel pump and fuel filter go bad on me, so the car naturally wasn't starting well.

This winter I replaced both of those, and everything was perfect for a while, started right up everytime and drove perfect. However ive got about 500 miles on it now, and its not starting good anymore. Sometime it has to crank for 6 seconds before it starts, but it once it does it drives fine. It only does this after the car has sat for a couple hours. It fires immediately if I kill it and restart it.

Any idea what could be wrong here? Am i losing another fuel pump?

Ive also noticed that when i key the car on (not the starter), I hear the fuel pump engage at a higher pitch for a just a second... as if there was no fuel left in the line and it is re-pressurizing. But even if I prime the pump once or twice before hitting the starter, the car still cranks for a while.

I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge soon and check that to see if the pump is bad again. But in the meantime is there anything else it could be I am overlooking?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quite possibly could be a leaky fuel injector or two. Try removing the fuel rail (keeping everything connected) and turn the key. If any of the injectors leak then that is likely your problem.

A fuel pressure test gauge will be invaluable in this situation.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Quite possibly could be a leaky fuel injector or two. Try removing the fuel rail (keeping everything connected) and turn the key. If any of the injectors leak then that is likely your problem.

A fuel pressure test gauge will be invaluable in this situation.
thanks! I will give that a go.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pressure regulator could be going bad as well.