LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti spark problem..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opti spark problem..

Okay i don't know a whole lot about the thing but here is what happened. I was driving along minding my own business when all of a sudden, out of now where comes a punk in a GTI reving his **** all up and what not in the next lane over. So when the light turned green i punched it and took of in a cloud of smoke after the car shifted into second it started sputtering and about died. (I felt like a *** at this point) I tried not to look him in the eye when he went flying by and limped my way home. I Suspected it was probably a spark issue because the car had been a slight miss at idle. So i changed all the plugs and wires, and decided to remove the timing cover because it was leaking and everything was covered in oil. Any how i took the opti off and it was a MSD one which looked fairly new after i cleaned it up a bit. So i took the cover off to see what it looked like on the inside and saw one of the screws that hold the rotor on had come out and the other was loose. So it took it all apart, cleaned it up, and put it back together. It looked like it was all in good shape, but the car wont start. So should i by a rebuild Kit (Cap and Rotor)for the Msd one or just buy a whole new opti? Are these Things really that sensitive to damage? It isn't getting spark at the plug. Any input would help.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well is it a MSD opti or just the MSD cap and rotor?????....

If it is a MSD billet opti I would send it to MSD and tell them to rebuild it..

If it were my car and knowing what I know now I would buy a Delphi opti from thepartsladi on ebay for $260 and be done with it...

Be sure its not your ICM or your coil as they can have similar symptoms....

Matt
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
well is it a MSD opti or just the MSD cap and rotor?????....

If it is a MSD billet opti I would send it to MSD and tell them to rebuild it..

If it were my car and knowing what I know now I would buy a Delphi opti from thepartsladi on ebay for $260 and be done with it...

Be sure its not your ICM or your coil as they can have similar symptoms....

Matt
It is a complete MSD opti it is mostly aluminum i dont know if it is better than most and worth fixing or just toss it and get a cheep one off ebay?
so i am not sure what to.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanna toss it I will take it off your hands and send you a cheap ebay one with a lifetime warranty...

The MSD is a good piece that you can have rebuilt.....
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you put some lock tite on the rotor screws?what did you use to "clean it up"?If you sprayed anything on the optical disc its no good.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by my1994z28
did you put some lock tite on the rotor screws?what did you use to "clean it up"?If you sprayed anything on the optical disc its no good.
I Just wiped it off on the outside with a rag. Took the 4 screws out and took it all apart. I removed the eye and the metal disk with all the windows in it and washed the oil and grime of the cases and covers with soap and water. I did not get the eye or the two metal disks wet at all! I put it all back together after i was certain it was all dry and put blue lock tight on the two rotor screws. I marked the rotor direction in relation to the metal disk and noticed that there was only one way the disk could properly be attached back to the bearing shaft. So i am confident that i put it all back together correctly. I got the car started yesterday but it is still running like *** and stalling in neutral. I examined the opti one more time and noticed a small half inch crack in the red epoxy stuff that covers the conductive pathways inside the cap. It was down at the bottom by where the connection for the ps front spark plug wire goes. Could that little crack in the cap be causing the horrible miss fire? I think i need to send the whole opti back to MSD to have it rebuilt, but i need something to put on my car in the mean time. If anyone has a working one they would like to part ways with cheep in any condition i would appreciate it? I am not going to be working again till May 1st, so cash is tight right now, but if anyone has one to spare and will sell it cheep now or accept payment at a later date for a expensive one send me a PM.

Quick Reply: Opti spark problem..