LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why arent LT1 vettes popular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always liked the C4, especially the 91+

As for the LT1 vs LS1 fbody, On both cars, i prefer the LT1. I still think the 96-97 LT1 WS6 T/A is the best looking 4th gen, which is why i added the hood to my 95.

the LS1 T/A still looks good but like someone said, it looks like they chopped off the front end and added the new front end. it doesn't flow as well with the rest of the car. The lines of an LT1 are so much better.

Name:  100_0904.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  191.8 KB
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nasty pm some pics
very clean c4

wish my 85 was that clean
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I enjoy my 40th C4 LT1 vette...

with the mag wheels

Name:  DSCF0580.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  120.1 KB

deep dish polished ZR1's

Name:  DSCF0719.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  125.4 KB

I also enjoy autocrossing the car:

Name:  IMG_0278.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0718.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  88.5 KB

I also have an LT1 buick too though

Name:  DSC00916.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  120.0 KB
Old 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i owned a lt1 vette briefly. but something about it. i ended up selling before i started dropping money on it.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy
Why buy a bland C4 when C5 prices are so low? C5 is such a big improvement the C4 doesn't even merit a look unless it is dirt cheap. It's also not much good for drag racing. I don't mind the styling of them even though they are a little mundane. The wrap-around glass rear windshield didn't seem to match the car somehow either. I would only buy one if it was really cheap. All things considered, the F-body is a better choice for me.
That is an odd statement when viewed from the C4 crowd. Most C4 owners will tell you that the C4 is the last "Hot Rod" Corvette. Also, many C4 owners, including myself, do not like the "softer" look of the C5 vette. The C5 had a very short production run because the vette crowd didn't like them much. The drop in prices for the C4 has halted and now people are just now seeing the value of them. The C5 is suffering the same fate. This has happened to every vette series when a new series comes out. The C3 was dogged when the C4 came out.

I suppose it simply boils down to taste. In my view, there is something very very special about a Corvette, any Corvette, any year. It is uniquely Amercan.

That is not to take away from the F-Body crowd, also uniquely American. Most F-body owners are younger, while most vette owners are middle aged and up. That probably has to do with the initial price of the vehicles I suppose. If vettes were as affordable as F-body cars, I bet the younger crowd would have eaten them up!

The interior of my C4, a 1996 is awesome! I have a torch red interior and a black dashboard. I agree that any worn C4 interior can look hideous. . . .but that is any car. A C4 interior in great shape with it's myriad of buttons and guages is sweet.

It is also one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven in my life.

A drag race between a stock C4 and C5 will come down to the driver. They are not much faster than a stock C4. A stock C4 LT4 will eat a stock C5 alive. My 383 with ported heads, XFI 280 cam, headers, catback, high stall, and 3.07 highway gears and street slicks, will walk a C5 Z06 all day long. My mods only cost me 5k. If the C5 Z06 is modded. . .I will be watching from the bleechers.....lol.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to hijack the thread but i agree that the lines look so much better on the LTs then the LS front
Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

I would love to have a C4 just as a daily driver, especially for winter. No rust, except for maybe the floorboards.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Because why get a C4 when you can get a TA?

Probably the best post in the thread. An LS1 TA vs and LT1 C4? I'd take the T/A or the Camaro in a split second.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

not to knock f-body's b/c I am a huge f-body fan.. I currently have 3 f-bodies but I have had SEVERAL in my time. I got into vettes b/c my grandad is big into them and I wanted to kinda have that common interest...

but out of all the cars Ive had I enjoy driving my corvette the most, Its just a different feel all together. Its on a totally different level than the f-bodies in my opinion. I have had an 86 vette, an 88 vette, a 94 vette and a 93 40th vette which I still own (white one in pics above). The 80's vettes still have that feel but the interior in my opinion is ugly and I dont like the square front and rear bumpers. I really enjoy driving the LT1 rounded body style vettes alot. my mom has a 71 stingray but it doesnt have the same feel as the C4. I havent really drove a C5 but i have sat in one and it as well does not have the same feel as the C4 in my opinion. I like how the seats are real low in the floor and it feels like the interior is built around you, it just fits perfect. it feels like a cockpit, and when you get in your ready to do work
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Well guys i won my ebay auction today so within the next few days my family will be pciking up my 94 vette for me!!! Just sucks i wont be home from afghanistan for a few more months to get it!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hineyspanker
That is an odd statement when viewed from the C4 crowd. Most C4 owners will tell you that the C4 is the last "Hot Rod" Corvette. Also, many C4 owners, including myself, do not like the "softer" look of the C5 vette. The C5 had a very short production run because the vette crowd didn't like them much. The drop in prices for the C4 has halted and now people are just now seeing the value of them. The C5 is suffering the same fate. This has happened to every vette series when a new series comes out. The C3 was dogged when the C4 came out.

I suppose it simply boils down to taste. In my view, there is something very very special about a Corvette, any Corvette, any year. It is uniquely Amercan.

That is not to take away from the F-Body crowd, also uniquely American. Most F-body owners are younger, while most vette owners are middle aged and up. That probably has to do with the initial price of the vehicles I suppose. If vettes were as affordable as F-body cars, I bet the younger crowd would have eaten them up!

The interior of my C4, a 1996 is awesome! I have a torch red interior and a black dashboard. I agree that any worn C4 interior can look hideous. . . .but that is any car. A C4 interior in great shape with it's myriad of buttons and guages is sweet.

It is also one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven in my life.

A drag race between a stock C4 and C5 will come down to the driver. They are not much faster than a stock C4. A stock C4 LT4 will eat a stock C5 alive. My 383 with ported heads, XFI 280 cam, headers, catback, high stall, and 3.07 highway gears and street slicks, will walk a C5 Z06 all day long. My mods only cost me 5k. If the C5 Z06 is modded. . .I will be watching from the bleechers.....lol.
SOme good points ! I agree with most but disagree just with 1. Im one of the few with a c4 that would recommend or even buy a c5 over a c4 if I had to do it again. Why? The c4 was designed starting in the late 70s. The c5 was designed in the early 90s. That's almost 20 years. Even though the interior / exterior doesn't show all the good things the platform is gazillion times better. I personally like the c4 styling much better of course ONLY if modded correctly, or even a clean late model c4 on sawbaldes or zr1 5 spokes. Most c4s are so ragged and beaten and many of which you see are from the 80s that had 16 inch wheels. Most of those have balloon tires on them and look absolutely horrendous. That is what mostly gives the ugly c4 image.
The Interior of the c4 hands down destroys the c5. almost ANYONE who has sat in my interior has looked at it like its a space ship. In a good way. It wraps around the driver and the orange guages and dials are still used by BMW to this day who claim the Best visibility and least eye fatigue from using the colour. I love sitting in my c4 more than anything, it's one of the best cockpits I'ver ever been in besides a Lambo 6.0 that I raced and blew away last year in a roll on

I would ONLY recommend a c4 for someone who is willing to do many things.
1. CHange the springs and shocks
2. Upgrade the brakes
3. Stiffen the Chassis
4. Add better wheels/tires
5. Modify the motor

If most of the above are modified the c4 becomes a sleek and sexy performer. If not it can remain a squeaky, slow, rough riding, poor handling and money eating machine.

Ive modified My c4 in almost every possible way I've liked. My friend bought a 96 LT4 and it's an absolute joke compared to how mine rides, handles, accelerates, sounds and looks. My new 370 ci LT4 will make 500+rwhp and spin 8000 rpm. She will top 205 mph easy again, and run hopefully faster than 127 mph in the 1/4 again on the street 19's with the stiffest suspension known to a c4. It Handles like its on rails and at least to me looks like a stunner. Having said that, I would NEVER buy a c4 again ! I would buy a c5. Slam it. Add 19/20 HREs. Throw in a 402 ci Stroker with 550 rwhp NA and Voila, A badass ride that can be driven daily with a MUCH larger aftermarket and potential.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^I would love to see more pics of yur c4 Nasty
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
^I would love to see more pics of yur c4 Nasty
x2...
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Teching In

I have a '92 C4 and own it over 16 years now. Wouldn't trade it in for a C5 or C6. There aren't too many C5/C6 around here and even if they were, I wouldn't be afraid of any of them on the street or Autobahn. Matter of fact, never seen a Porsche or Ferrari that can accelerate as fast as I can.

Quick Reply: Why arent LT1 vettes popular?